• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horrible Cavity (Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years)

U

unsure

It has been about 10 years since I went to the dentist. Last year I went for a wisdom tooth and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done but chips of my tooth were falling out. I have a full-time job babysitting 6-6 so trying to make time is impossible. After my wisdom tooth, I thought I might have fought my phobia and made an appointment for a cleaning- after the dentist changed my appointment time twice! no one was available to see me my insurance suddenly didn't cover me. I took this as a sign I shouldn't go and ignored the entire thing.

Now i have a huge hole im my tooth. Last night I was shaking and contemplating suicide- at this point that sounds so much better than actually going in! I'm so scared. I finally confided in a close friend and am starting to feel a little bit better. I'm just nervous I'll get enough confidence to call only to find I'm not covered anymore I don't have any money and I'm freaking out. If this gets worse I'll start contemplating suicide again. It's not just dentists its doctors and everything! I'm a hypochondriac who lets this stuff eat me up all the time.

Sorry for ranting and thanks to everyone who took the time out to read this. I'm almost in tears. I wish this wasn't so difficult. I just want to pull all my teeth out and die.

Also laughing gas not help anyone else? When I had my wisdom tooth pulled I tried it and started having a panic attack. I felt like I couldn't breathe and pulled it off- the dentist guy yelled at me and said that was dangerous but later said we should try it again. I also get anxious while drinking not sure if that has anything to do with it, I just hate when I feel like I'm not in control.

I am so sorry that you're feeling this way right now-you are not alone!
I am 38 & learned that I need to have a full mouth extraction with full upper and lower dentures...As big as your fear is right now about that bad tooth please please PLEASE take it from me that you should take care of it now before it gets any worse. I only wish I would have followed my own advice a few years ago when my teeth first started going bad & things were more easily "fixable".
As far as having a panic attack I think that the type of Novocaine that they used may have been a factor. I have to specify that dentists do not use Novocaine containing epinephrine because it brings on a panicky feeling. Downside of using novocaine without epinephrine is that you tend to stay numb for a longer period of time, but I think it's definitely worth it!
If I could go with you & hold your hand I would so just remember that we are with you in spirit and you can do it!
Take care!
Casey

Back