• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horrified and scared to go back.

D

Dragyonfly

9 days ago I had rt lower back molar( not wisdom tooth) pulled. It literally took her 2 1/2 hours and 5 injections of local anesthetic to get it out. And This was just the beginning of my nightmare. My jaw has a golf ball sized hard and painful lump that will not diminish, as well as throbbing pain. I went back and she packed it for dry socket and gave me amoxicillin for 4 days. I’m taking lortabs and Advil around the clock, applied Ice for a week now I’m trying heat. Something tells me I’m going to have to have something done. Or maybe she broke my jaw. At any rate I’m scared to go back to this dentist. What could be wrong? Can anybody help me?

Trust your intuition and get it checked out. Good luck and keep us posted.

I think you should go back and get it checked out. You can also go to another dentist for a second opinion if you don't trust the dentist that extracted the tooth, but definitely get it checked out.

9 days ago I had rt lower back molar( not wisdom tooth) pulled. It literally took her 2 1/2 hours and 5 injections of local anesthetic to get it out. And This was just the beginning of my nightmare. My jaw has a golf ball sized hard and painful lump that will not diminish, as well as throbbing pain. I went back and she packed it for dry socket and gave me amoxicillin for 4 days. I’m taking lortabs and Advil around the clock, applied Ice for a week now I’m trying heat. Something tells me I’m going to have to have something done. Or maybe she broke my jaw. At any rate I’m scared to go back to this dentist. What could be wrong? Can anybody help me?
Ever find out what it was?

Hi,

I am really sorry to read about your difficult extraction. Every dentist encounter difficult extractions which can really exhaust the patient. As a dentist who had difficult extractions I can testify that it is also exhausting for the dentist.
I guess that in your case the dentist had to harm the bone and gum tissue hence the difficult and long healing. By the ways, the antibiotics does not help a dry socket but it can help with the healing.
I think that by now your body needs time. As long as you feel improvement and lessening of the pain that men’s you are on the right track and the tissue is healing well.

Back