• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horrified of IV Sedation

A

Abowman1983

I have two wisdom teeth left that need to come out. The bottom one is impacted the top one is rotted out. I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and not being in control terrifies me. I’ve been begging to have my teeth removed under local but no one will do it and are insisting I do IV sedation.

I’m so scared.

I’m scared of dying from an infection if I don’t let them sedate I me but I’m also scared of dying under IV sedation, or feeling funny, or being trapped in my head after they give me the meds :( my appointment isn’t until the end of February and I’m already waking up in the middle of the night having panic attack as about it.

I think it is normal to be scared. Having been sedated many times, I believe it's the best thing in the world of dentistry. If i could have IV sedation for all of my dental work I would. Once you have the IV you will quickly fall asleep and not wake up again until it's over. With IV sedation you still answer their questions and comply with their requests, but you are 'asleep' and don't remember anything.
Doctors who can do IV are trained and monitor your blood pressure and oxygen rates throughout for the highest levels of safety.

Hi Abowman1983,

I think differently from mll. If you are afraid of losing control, deep sedation might not be suitable for you. It is perfectly OK to have wisdom teeth extracted while the patient is fully consciousness.
I suggest you keep on searching for a dentist/oral surgeon who will perform this procedure without sedation.

I too was terrified of having IV Sedation before my last surgery and even though I came through it great and don’t remember anything, the idea of it still makes me nervous. I have general anxiety disorder in addition to dental phobia and knew I wouldn’t be able to do it unless I took Valium before my appointment. I asked my dentist for a prescription and he obliged and I will do so again before my next surgery . What makes me more nervous than being sedated is being fully aware of everything the dentist is doing. Extractions are tough, especially wisdom teeth if they are impacted. I have no desire to hear noises or see scary instruments. It all comes down to what you can tolerate and what your preference is but in my experience with IV Sedation has been great!

Hi Abowman1983,

I think differently from mll. If you are afraid of losing control, deep sedation might not be suitable for you. It is perfectly OK to have wisdom teeth extracted while the patient is fully consciousness.
I suggest you keep on searching for a dentist/oral surgeon who will perform this procedure without sedation.

I'm not sure mll said deep sedation, she just said IV sedation which could mean either standard or deep sedation.

I think it is normal to be scared. Having been sedated many times, I believe it's the best thing in the world of dentistry. If i could have IV sedation for all of my dental work I would. Once you have the IV you will quickly fall asleep and not wake up again until it's over. With IV sedation you still answer their questions and comply with their requests, but you are 'asleep' and don't remember anything.
Doctors who can do IV are trained and monitor your blood pressure and oxygen rates throughout for the highest levels of safety.

Thank you for this encouraging post! I feel very similar to the person who is scared of IV and have generalized anxiety, but I don't numb up very well so this is the way I have to go now and have my first IV booked for 21st Feb. I've heard it's really amazing and most people have a positive, even enjoyable experience.

I have two wisdom teeth left that need to come out. The bottom one is impacted the top one is rotted out. I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and not being in control terrifies me. I’ve been begging to have my teeth removed under local but no one will do it and are insisting I do IV sedation.

I’m so scared.

I’m scared of dying from an infection if I don’t let them sedate I me but I’m also scared of dying under IV sedation, or feeling funny, or being trapped in my head after they give me the meds :( my appointment isn’t until the end of February and I’m already waking up in the middle of the night having panic attack as about it.

Hi, I have felt the same way as you about IV-EXACTLY the same! I too suffer from generalized anxiety and I hate to feel out of control in any way. So I have just been going to the dentist appointments and feeling super anxious beforehand, wondering if I am going to have a panic attack in the chair etc. I'm having IV sedation on Feb 21st and again a few weeks after that. The main reason is that it's been getting harder and harder for me to get numb and my dentist and I agreed it was a really good option to get IV. He said it's so perfect for people who are anxious or if it's a complicated procedure. Some patients even have it when they have a cleaning. I went to see my dentist last night to ask questions about my IV appointment, he was great. My first question was; "will I die?" (only half joking?) and he said straight away "no!" He's very empathetic about my anxiety and so was really reassuring about the safety aspects and told me that he's done many of these procedures and no one has had any problems.
There are many success stories on this site from people who felt just like you and me right now, they had very positive outcomes and would do it again if they needed to.
On the other hand, you shouldn't be pressured to go through with it by a dentist. I'm sure if you keep looking, you will find a dentist who will do the treatment with just LA.?

These are great perspectives. I too have anxiety that I take medicine for. It's so bad for the dentist that I"m usually in tears as soon as I walk in the door. The oral surgeon is super kind and as soon as I get in the chair I ask for laughing gas. That calms me enough until I get the IV sedation.
I think it's a matter of, would you rather not know what the dentist is doing or would it make you feel better to know? For me, personally, I tell him to knock me out and do what you have to do. It's better for everyone involved if I'm asleep. LOL!

Back