• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hospital referral

W

whyme01

Hi All

This is my first posting and i am in need of help, I have spent the weekend rolling the floor with an existing tooth problem which the dentist is unable to rectify owing to my general state of health.

I have a severely broken tooth, filled dont know how many times and waiting for a hospital referal, as i have Atrail Fibulation of the heart, a heart attack in 2005, copd, and considered a high risk for the extraction so the dentist wont go any further than a temporary filling.

I have been waiting so far approx 6 months for a hospital but the dentist will not tell me the proceedure whether i am "knocked out" or just frozen, he said i need the hospital in case i "Have a heart attack" as i am very high risk.

I cannot stand the repeats of pain bouts but scared stiff of what lies ahead, I have also asked him the cost of a hospital appointment but he avoided an answer, have you an idea of costing for this

The plan is to take out what is left of the tooth carcass along with the one next to it, I am scared i might have continual bleeding also as suggested by the dentist due to my blood thinning medication

Hi there ?

So sorry to hear you're in so much pain and can't get seen for what sounds like a long while ?. Do you have any ideas how much longer the wait will be? Regarding the cost, if it's on the NHS, it should be the same at the hospital as at a dental practice, i.e. Band 2 (£65.20). I take it the hospital referral is NHS rather than private?

For your last question (about bleeding and blood thinning medication), it might be best to post in the Ask a Dentist section here on the forum ?

Thanks for your reply, just out of interest i rang the hospital after posting here and was informed the waiting list is 18 months long and can only be moved forward if the dentist writes an expedite letter, so i am now waiting a response from my dentiast to see if he will do this

My Dental appointments are NHS and i am continually treated under band 1 (£23.80) so thats good news if it stays that way and i just pay the next band, I thought it would cost £100's

I will take your advice and nip into the Dentist section regarding bleeding etc

Back