• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How 1 front tooth cost me $8200

K

KarstenScottD

Hello all, I'd like to share my story/nightmare of 1 of my front teeth (#21) that ended up costing me $8200 in the end :/

When I was about 12 years old I cracked my tooth in half skateboarding and ended up just having an artificial part attached to it which I had until I was about 18-19. I started feeling some pain and the fake part was starting to discolor, so I went in for a root canal/crown. After about a year maybe a bit more of wearing the crown I started feeling more pain and my gums started reciting away from the crown(and the nightmare begins).
So I was left with 2 options, go to a Periodontist and have my gums lifted to see if there was a crack somewhere in the root(NOT A FUN PROCEDURE) OR have the entire thing extracted. I decided that the best option was to have it extracted and have an implant placed.
So about a year and a half later after getting the root canal/crown I had the entire thing extracted + bone grafting done, I was probably 21 at the time (in my 2nd year of college, having to do Presentations and all sorts of fun stuff while missing a front tooth://) The healing process took about 8-9 months.
I had the first stage of the implant process about 2 months ago(the post) and everything is looking really good, I should be able to have the crown placed within 2 more months.
I'm now 23 years old........... so I have been dealing with this nightmare of a front tooth for about 3-4 years. Some people dont realize how bad this can affect someone at this age. It really takes a toll on your confidence. Especially one of the very front teeth:/. How one little skateboarding accident can have so much negative impact not to mention COSTLYY.
Lets break it down into dollars.
1. Artificial piece attached $500
2. Root Canal $600
3. Crown $1200
4. Extraction + Bone Graft $1100
5. Dental Flipper $500
6. Surgeon Consult + CT Scan $250
7. First Stage of Implant + Sedation $2500
8. Last stage of Implant Crown $1500
Grand Total of $8,150
FOR ONE TOOTH
About $4500 out of pocket....cough out of line of credit as I am still in college:/

I really wanted to share this nightmare, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.....
Not to mention I have near perfect teeth, never needed braces, naturally great looking teeth, except for one...... Its really irritating thinking about where I could be if I didn't have to go through this. Or If I was a bit mentally stronger and didn't care about people judging me based off of one tiny tooth.

Out of everything I have been through, I do have to say the worst part was the extraction+ bone grafting, I was in bed for a week, my mouth hurt so much. The implant was nothing compared to that. But the worst surgery I have had was my wisdom teeth removal, nothing is worse than that. So if you've had that done, theirs nothing worse a dentist can do to you lol:)

I had a front upper tooth break when I was around nine. I was pushing a shopping cart and my brother pushed it backwards into my mouth. I also had a filling placed. Unknown to me, my tooth died painlessly over a long time, then abscessed when this past year. The abscess was there a long time before it started hurting, so it ate away a good chunk of bone. I had a root canal, still hurt. Had an apicoectomy, still hurt. Now I am going through the same process as you. I have a consult scheduled in August with an oral surgeon for extraction and implant.
I haven't added it all up, but I am sure it would be at least $10,000 if I included the work I had done as a kid. I am paying out of pocket now, as my dental insurance is maxed out.

It really is an unfortunate thing! especially when its something so small that is the reason for it. like skateboarding or in your case a shopping cart: p that end up costing us an arm and a leg.
Hopefully they will be able to do the implant at the same time as the extraction, but maybe not since there is a loss of bone, which was my case. That's why I needed bone grafting at the same time of the extraction.
for 8-10 thousand we should have a gold tooth or something lol.... our 1 tooth costs as much as a decent car..... crazy to me.

It really is an unfortunate thing! especially when its something so small that is the reason for it. like skateboarding or in your case a shopping cart: p that end up costing us an arm and a leg.
Hopefully they will be able to do the implant at the same time as the extraction, but maybe not since there is a loss of bone, which was my case. That's why I needed bone grafting at the same time of the extraction.
for 8-10 thousand we should have a gold tooth or something lol.... our 1 tooth costs as much as a decent car..... crazy to me.

Yep, very expensive. I have to get bone grafting as well, and will wait 6 months before I can get the implant. I just got impressions taken for the flipper on Tuesday. I have already had one implant this year, on a molar. I can't even believe how much we are spending on my teeth this year. Of course, the costs are spread out, since they charge as things are done.

Back