• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How bad could this get please

D

Della44

Hi, I have a front tooth on a post that is loose, apiocectomy done on it some years ago, because it was left without treatment for too long, i got bone and gum loss, over the years this has got worse and now thr gum is below thr post crown, i already have bridge on the other side of this also. Current dentist (pre coviid) not interested in discussing with me at all. Question is, how bad could this get regarding possible extraction and false teeth? Also, is there anything i can do to stop the gum being so sore? Thank you

Any chance of a photo?

PM me if you'd rather not post in public. No need to be embarrassed, i absolutely guarantee I've seen worse!

Could you tell me the reasons for a crown post becoming loose? I have one that is really loose and have been told that gum recession would not cause this? Thank you

That's right, gum recession couldn't possibly cause it. I'm interested to know why you think it would?

Basically they fail because there has been a torquing (twisting) force applied to the crown part, which causes the cement to fail. Chewing a bit hard on the "wrong" place will do it, even bumping it with a fork could do it if you were very unlucky.

That's right, gum recession couldn't possibly cause it. I'm interested to know why you think it would?

Basically they fail because there has been a torquing (twisting) force applied to the crown part, which causes the cement to fail. Chewing a bit hard on the "wrong" place will do it, even bumping it with a fork could do it if you were very unlucky.
Hi, thanks for your reply, some years ago I had an apicectomy on this tooth, because it took so long for an appointment I had a fair bit of gum/bone loss. It was a bit loose after I had that done, but has got worse over time, you can now see the bottom of the tooth/post because my gum has gone down so much, that's why I assumed it was the cause of the looseness, I have some bone loss around that area too, could this be another cause?

No, bone loss/gum recession has no effect on a post crown. If the whole tooth is loose, then obviously that's a different story.

Thanks Gordon, but not sure I understand your explanation about "the whole tooth" if it moves backwards and forwards when you move it about, then is that not the post that is moving? I'm a little confused

Well, if the post has failed and come loose then the root of the tooth will not move when you move the crown about, if the post has not failed but the whole tooth has become loose due to gum disease then that's a totally different and far more serious (for the prognosis of the tooth) scenario.

I posted some while ago about my problem with a loose post crown, not sure if it is the post or tooth that is loose, bone loss and gum disease are the causes. Is there any way this tooth can be saved before it falls out completely??

Hi @Della44, I've merged your new thread with your previous one because it seems to be on the same topic ?.

I'm not a dentist, but if the cause of the tooth being very loose is bone loss and gum disease, then it might not be possible to save it in the long term. You'd really need to get the opinion and help of a dentist who can have a look in person (unless you want to send a private message - called conversations - with a photo to one of the dentists on here).

Back