• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How bad is this gum recession? PICS

Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

Im being OCD and paranoid at the moment. For that i applogise, but i wouldent post on here if i knew it wouldent help.

I just had a checkup just under a month ago and told im totally fine but for what ever reason im paranoid again about my teeth, this time gum recession.

I notice i have it only on the outside part of my mouth (the cheek side) on a few molars and thats it. I just had a deep cleaning and ive known about it but was told i had it from the hygienists, but i dident think to ask how bad. I had a deep cleaning at the checkup, the first in a few years..but im just paranoid.

I dont have much if any sensitivity, and i want to know if this is dangerous or not, how to stop or reverse it..

as far as i know i dont clench my teeth, i dont smoke, and brush with a soft brush at a 45 degree angle (electrical). Should i be worried or is this minor, part of aging or do i need work done?

The last thing i want is my teeth falling out.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 98
Hello again Fella,

Yup, you have a bit or recession. It is probably because that particular tooth was set quite superficially in the jaw bone and did not have a full cover of bone to support the overlying gum. When this happens in people who look after their teeth like you do, the gum recedes to a few mm above the bone and then stays pretty stable.

So unless you are planning to live to 150, this tooth is unlikely to fall out on you.:)

Lincoln

Hello again Fella,

Yup, you have a bit or recession. It is probably because that particular tooth was set quite superficially in the jaw bone and did not have a full cover of bone to support the overlying gum. When this happens in people who look after their teeth like you do, the gum recedes to a few mm above the bone and then stays pretty stable.

So unless you are planning to live to 150, this tooth is unlikely to fall out on you.:)

Lincoln

Ok so its not going to fall out, or decay or anything as long as I brush and floss? Im just paranoid about this stuff! So no treatment what so ever?

Hi Big Al, how are things?

Nope, no treatment required at all, just keep maintaining it the way you are now and it'll out last both of us.

Hi Big Al, how are things?

Nope, no treatment required at all, just keep maintaining it the way you are now and it'll out last both of us.

Things are going well. Bouts of Dental OCD but i just survived a checkup with no problems. My issue is too much freetime to look things up and i always imagine the worst case.

Thanks for the confort and support guys. Also Enjoy your retirement!

-Al

Thanks Al, glad to hear it.

I'm just about to go out to lunch with my dentist :)

Gordon and YourBigPalAl83 two blasts from the past! Welcome back both of you :jump:.

Hope you are enjoying your retirement :cheers::cheers::cheers:.

Last edited:
Thanks Brit, I've been having a lovely time thanks, nice to hear from you again. :)

Letsconnect persuaded me to come out of hibernation.

Letsconnect persuaded me to come out of hibernation.

Yes, my powers of persuasion are legendary... it's amazing what the promise of a litre of virtual Merlot can do :sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice:

Very very happy to have Gordon back :yayy:!!

Back