• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How did it come to this

D

depressedbunny

When I was a child, I didn’t really understand just how important it was to take care of your teeth and I didn’t understand that everything you eat affects them. I didn’t understand the consequences of not taking extreme care of them. I brushed, but not as well as I should’ve. Combine that with lots of sugar in my diet and rarely going to the dentist, at 16 I had to get fillings in nearly every tooth. After this, I began to care for my teeth as much as I could. I have amazing oral hygiene now. However, here I am at 19, with a healthy diet and lifestyle, and I’m suffering with GERD that could ruin all the effort I’ve made to take care of my teeth. Not only that, I’ve learned that having as many fillings as Ive had is pretty much a sign that I’ll need dentures sometime in the future. I’m depressed. Ashamed. My youth is being wasted away as I lay in bed and cry about my teeth. Where did it all go wrong? I never meant for this to happen. I’ve corrected my mistakes. I do the best for my teeth now. So why is this happening to me? I’ve tried to forgive my younger self for the hygiene mistakes because I just didn’t know and understand. But I wish more than anything I would’ve taken better care of myself because I’ll probably be in dentures by 30 and my face may cave in and I’ll just be even more repulsive than I am now. I don’t understand why I’m here. I don’t understand how everyone I see has perfect teeth and I’ve been given these hardships for something that should be so simple to take care of. If anything, I feel saddened mostly for my younger self. She was so full of dreams and hopes and the fact that I know now none of that will ever happen makes me sad for her. She had no idea what was ahead. She had no idea about all the pain and suffering and days wasted away crying alone. I don’t know anymore. This world is cruel. I’m destined to be toothless and lonely and sad. I give up.

I’m so sorry to read that you feel this way. You’re still young & perhaps your dental care wasn’t as effective as you now wish it had been in your youth, but it sounds like you’re aware now & taking good care of your teeth now. Many fillings does not equate to needing dentures, and certainly not by the age of 30! I’ve had plenty of fillings, avoided the dentist for 10 (!!) years, and I’m 46 & still have all of my teeth & no major dental work (aside from said fillings, a couple of root canals & my wisdom teeth out at age 20). I know how the mind can make these fears/anxieties a much bigger monster than they actually are. Believe me, I know. I was certain I’d go back for the first time in 10 years and need all of my teeth pulled. Guess what? I didn’t. In fact, I needed very little work done & absolutely everything is fixable. You have a long, full life ahead of you. Again, don’t let that monster anxiety take over your thoughts. You WILL be okay. Your teeth WILL be okay. Many of us have been where you’re at right now, and we made it through to the other side of this. ❤️

Not sure where you heard that but it's not true,I have a family member with loads of fillings+they still have their own teeth at 70. Have you actually seen a dentist,what's the problem? Your young it's not to late to do something about it,if I'd had the right dentist at 19 I wouldn't be where I am now. ?

Noordinaryloves

Knowledge is the beginning of wisdom and change.. and there is hope for you! It sounds like you get where you came from and recognize your habits and have changed some.. Shame and depression are real and dental is a huge area where these creep in. certainly did for me, and I have a beginning like yours , lots of sweets, not alot of dental work, didn't really create the best dental situation. and well I only started my dental care at 30. you are ahead of the game, and I believe if you find a good kind, compassionate dentist , you can first find hope that you may not be bound for dentures.. take one step at a time.. There are plenty of people here , that fear the worst but hear the better news from dentist! It IS really hard when we compare our teeth with others. I KNOW. some seem to have the perfect teeth. take step by step , knowing you are doing your best.. you might be surprised how it all ends up for the good. First step is find a good kind dentist you can start with. :grouphug:

Thank you all for the kind responses. I’m hoping to get to the dentist soon to rest my mind but until then all I can do is keep up my routine and hope for the best.

Back