• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How did you make the 1st step?

S

Superscared32

I have been trying to go to the dentist for months now. I have insurance to get all the work done, but I can't even make the first step to go talk to the dentist to get a referral to someone who does IV sadation. I have been scared since I was a child and had a REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE! Then again as an adult I had to go get an extraction and wasn't numbed properly and that brought all my fears back because I was screaming while the tooth was being ripped out of my jaw!!!! My husband even burst back there asking what was going on. That being said I am scared even to talk to the dentist ?

A couple of things:

I was forced into finally seeing a dentist after 6 years when a tooth broke. My vanity actually led me there.:redface:

I needed a pile of restoration work from neglect -- fillings, crowns, inlays, RCT -- the whole prize package. I struggled through because I found that after each visit there was a marginal improvement in the terror. Enough to make me keep going.

It. was. not. easy. to. go. So don't fault yourself for it being hard to take the first step. It's hard! Discount anyone who minimizes your feelings because your feelings are valid to you. The important part, and the really hard part, is to start to change those feelings.

Remember that you are in control. You are the client. Resist the urge to feel out of control or under someone else's control. Interview dentists as if you are hiring them for a job, because you are. If you don't click with one, move on to the next. Evaluate the surroundings, the office staff, how it makes you feel.

Be open about your fear. That's a real quick way to determine if a dentist is a fit for you. If they are dismissive or patronizing? MOVE ON.

You are also in control while the procedure is being done. If you don't feel comfortable -- say it. If you aren't numb enough -- say it. If you need to sit up and take a breath? Say so.

And let me also say that even after tons of dental work and some serious periodontal work I still choke up before an appointment. I have the greatest dentist, but I still fear the apprehension. I've just learned to walk past it. You can do it!

:XXLhug: BH

Superscared32,

I too share your fear ?. The only thing that got me there in the end was the fact that I could actually see the extent of the damage that the decay had on my tooth. It wasn't the pain that got me there so as you can appreciate it was very hard for me to even make an appointment. At first I couldn't even fully dial the phone number for the dental office. It was sheer overwhelming fear.

In hindsight I could have done it much easier with someone at my side. Someone to help me make the call, walk and wait in the office and sit beside me whilst in the chair.

Please go because you will never get your natural teeth back once they are lost and if you are anything like me, the grief, blame and depression (even over one tooth) will just be too much to cope with. If only I knew then what I knew now, I would run to the dentist. I never wanted to sacrifice my smile/sanity/life over fear and avoidance of the dentist.

Good luck. You CAN do this ?

Hey there! First post of mine, and I wanted to provide support directly to someone rather than posting it tucked away somewhere in the stories section.

Just yesterday I went and had a root canal performed. This was after living approximately 4 months with 2 fractured teeth, an infected tooth that would cause me sinus migraines every 2 nights, referred pain along my entire trigeminal nerve, and left me feeling light headed, made eating and drinking painful, and forced me to take sick days from work. You can imagine how much something like that would hold you back in life. It's frustrating, and downright depressing!

Eventually you get fed up! I generally associate the dentist with pain. Hell, I've been living in pain for months. Emotionally, and physically! I didn't know what was wrong with me. Could I have a major infection? Am I going to lose the tooth? At a certain point though, you genuinely have to think about your health. You probably already know this, but your teeth are connected to some pretty serious parts of your body, and your wellbeing is worth facing your fears. You've gotta have some self worth!

Now was my root canal easy? Did I sleep through the whole thing? Well of course not. It was a root canal. If I told you it was like a day at the spa you'd know I was lying to you. I went in there fearing the worst though, maybe extraction.. (even hoping for it a little, since that'd be a quicker appointment). I took the news, knew I was determined to feel back to my old self, and refused ANY continuation if I felt like I was even close to feeling the faintest hint of a vibration on that tooth. That meant more lidocaine..ouch...but I wanted to make sure those were the ONLY things I felt for a few hours, and they get easier and easier of course. Not pleasant, but hey, a sharp Dorito chip to the gum will always be worse. You can handle it. That's when I learned they have epinephrine in them...! That's why you shiver! I thought I always shook in fear. That actually put me at ease. Then it was nitrous on full blast, and my favorite tunes blasting into my ears.

Sure enough! When you're numb, you're numb. Protest as much as you need to if you are uncomfortable with how much you're feeling. For me, the first 3 shots of lidocaine were the only painful parts of my procedure. I had at least 7 in total (that I could feel)! After that it was just a lot of giggling from the nitrous, pretending I was feeling them floss my teeth, and having to hold your jaw still, mildly uncomfortable. I was fine, and back at work at 7:30 this morning. The tooth is sensitive, like when I had my braces tightened as a kid, but it's nothing. And hey, I don't have to contourt my mouth to get cold drinks safely past that tooth anymore!

Bring a partner with you if you can. A friend or family member that would be understanding. Someone you feel is on YOUR side and would have your back. Sometimes being surrounded by those white coats can leave you feeling a bit...psychologically not in control. Having backup on standby can work surprisingly well and really boost your confidence.

Last edited:
I have been trying to go to the dentist for months now. I have insurance to get all the work done, but I can't even make the first step to go talk to the dentist to get a referral to someone who does IV sadation. I have been scared since I was a child and had a REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE! Then again as an adult I had to go get an extraction and wasn't numbed properly and that brought all my fears back because I was screaming while the tooth was being ripped out of my jaw!!!! My husband even burst back there asking what was going on. That being said I am scared even to talk to the dentist ?

Hey, Superscared. I feel the same, except for your adult horrible experience. Why "NO means NO" does not apply to this situation? He knew that you had a phobia. They all say how much they care about phobic patients, but 90% don't. Our dentistry schools need some change.

Step 1. Referrals. They recommend just their friends or randomly. Search yourself through the internet for "general anesthesia" and "sleeping dentistry". Read the webpage, see whether they have strange recommendations to super phobic and panic attackers like "just relax and trust the professional, listen to music" (they clearly have no idea or don't care?), or they honestly say something like "may be you got to have a GA if you cannot tolerate pressure during the extraction". Read the reviews.

Step 2. Read about the types of IV sedation. During some types of deep sedation as some call it here, in US, you may have awareness. In particular read UNHAPPY reviews about deep sedation. Pretty much what you had but they paid for deep sedation, which did not work for them because "they could not relax before the procedure" (How could they, if they are phobic? The dentist has zero common sense.)

My own choice is GA in a hospital where no awareness is nearly guaranteed.

For me it was the realisation of this pretty much being my last chance. As most of my molars were down, and I lost half of my premolars I kept realising the further I go the more teeth I will loose and I was petrified of loosing my front teeth. Something I wouldn't be able to hide.
I got also fed up with the pain I had to endure it wasn't to bed but it was constant.
I think these two had led me to take the first step. Then timing, I finally had the time, the place and the possibility of good doctors.
It still took me 3 months after the first step to actually pick up the phone.

Back