• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do I contact my dentist about reducing my amount of fillings in a future appointment?

A

anxietydisorder123

So, my dentist counted out 11 cavities. I have an appointment on the 15th to fill half of them (then I'll get the other half filled at a later date).

The thing is, filling 11 cavities is going to be way too expensive for me. I simply won't be able to afford it and I don't qualify for financial aid. How do I contact my dentist about filling only the severe ones?

I'm asking literally how to ask. Do I call up the office and ask them to pass it on as a message? Do I text the front desk? Do I e-mail my dentist (I barely know him and only met him once for the exam)? I have anxiety about calling up the receptionists and them not knowing how to answer my question, since only the dentist would really know how to answer. I don't know how to socially navigate asking my dentist a question post-exam. I should have asked at the exam but I was too nervous.

Thanks if anyone answers

I would call the office and tell the front desk staff your concerns, and they can relay it to the dentist. You can also ask them to have the dentist call you when they have an opening in their schedule.

I would call the office and tell the front desk staff your concerns, and they can relay it to the dentist. You can also ask them to have the dentist call you when they have an opening in their schedule.

Okay thanks. I don't know how many of my cavities are actually severe (the dentist didn't explain my cavities to me). I already have the appointment on the 15th for 5 fillings so should I just call and ask them to modify the appointment and only fill the 2 or 3 most severe for now?

I once asked my dentist the cost of a dental procedure and they said talk to the receptionist because they do not handle the 'money' aspect.

I would definitely call, tell them that you can't afford all 11, so just want to fill the worst two or three now and deal with the others later. Good luck.

I had a similar issue back in March- needed 2 root canals + 2 crowns + a few fillings. Even with dental insurance the out-of-pocket costs exceeded $5K & it was hard to put down that kind of money. We did the most pressing procedures first (2 root canals, one crown & a filling) and we will proceed with the remains things when my insurance renews in January. My dentist was very flexible. ?

I would start by calling the reception and asking how much the whole lot will cost in total. Then explain at the moment you cannot afford all of it in one go and ask what options you have I.e. payment plans, how much if you only had certain ones at this point. You don't have to have any more than you want or can afford so I would just be honest with them about it

Back