• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do I prevent my daughter from getting phobia

• Thread starter Stupiddentalfear
  • Start date
S

Stupiddentalfear

Hello All,

I'm quite worried that my daughter is going to develop the same excrutiating dental fear that I have. I don't want her to have future problems because of me. Although I'm not even sure how I got mine but I'm in the 4th generation of my family. I still have guilt over what has happened to one of my teeth as a result of advancing decay during pregnancy because of my reluctance to visit dentist. I don't want her to ever feel as I have I.e. siluicidal because of a phobia.

Any suggestions please.

Start taking her to a dentist while she is young and go in with her. Don't show that you are anxious when you go with her. Have separate appointments from her on different days. Make sure the dentist is good with children and that she enjoys her visits.

Treat it as a casual visit not something to dread. All this will be hard for you but it will benefit your daughter. Don't let people tell horror or fearful stories around her, this way she can form her own opinion and not be afraid of going. Don't force her to do anything, if she is distressed at any visit then arrange to go another day. Let her know she is in charge and it is her choice when she needs treatment. :butterfly::butterfly:

Start taking her to a dentist while she is young and go in with her. Don't show that you are anxious when you go with her. Have separate appointments from her on different days. Make sure the dentist is good with children and that she enjoys her visits.

Treat it as a casual visit not something to dread. All this will be hard for you but it will benefit your daughter. Don't let people tell horror or fearful stories around her, this way she can form her own opinion and not be afraid of going. Don't force her to do anything, if she is distressed at any visit then arrange to go another day. Let her know she is in charge and it is her choice when she needs treatment. :butterfly::butterfly:

Good advice.
get her in at a young age and take her regularly so that a good relationship and experiences may be gained. NEVER take her to a chain dental clinic!

I have just re read my reply and I didn't mean to say when she has treatment it is her choice. I meant that when she needs treatment she has to make the decisions and decide with the dentist how to get it done. :butterfly:

One thing I would add is maybe if she does express some fear/phobia traits, maybe have a talk with her and let her know that it's okay to be scared. Try to talk to her about it as much as you two can stand. If you think it would help, and if you are comfortable, maybe let her know you are afraid too. Relating to people will open a new door of communication.

Let us know how you and her do!

Also don't use the old favourite of if she is young (school age) and is being naughty as a punishment that you are going to take her to the dentist

I will add to my previous post by saying I can't think of one patient that I have seen since childhood(there's not mine) who years later has any dental phobia or even unusual anxiety.
Your daughter needs a gentle caring competent dentist.

I agree, this is so true

I agree 100% with Dr Kimsey, please keep your daughter away from Chain Practices, an independent, caring, compassionate dental practice is the way to go for sure.

I was duped by a Chain that took over my old dentists practice, it was not a nice experience and we have only just finished correcting the issues they left me with.

Yes Spike is right. Chain managed practices look closely at numbers and so the pressure is on the dentists to produce and therefore work faster, "diagnose" more disease, and perform treatment that they themselves are fully competent at doing. The place looks nice and you will get the friendly staff and sales job but your time with the doctor will be limited.

Back