• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do I recover?

J

jasm1nefl022

As a child, I was always nervous around the dentist but I always got all my appointments done. As I got older my dental health got more demanding, I have extremely cavity-prone teeth and only found out a few months ago. At about 14 I had to get a tooth removed and it was extremely traumatizing to me, I was awake for it and I could feel everything happening in my mouth. I begged the dentist at the time to stop and was sobbing the entire time. The dentist told me I was only feeling pressure and that I was acting like a baby, even though I was definitely hurting. He smacked my face and told me to grow up. I made it through it and thought that I was recovered just fine. Fast forward to the next dentist appointment where I needed to get a filling. (different dentist) I got so terrified that I ended up not letting her do it. Since then I have found a new dentist with whom I do much better, but I cry during every appointment. Every single one. But, she is an amazing dentist who waits as long as I need to calm down before proceeding with any procedure. She is truly a blessing to me I have made a lot of progress with her. I had to get my wisdom teeth out and I am very scared of having anything done to me now. The nurses brought me into the surgery room and started preparing me but I started crying, when the surgeon came in I sobbed and cried for them not to put the IV in cause I needed a break. The needle hurt so bad and they ended up sticking me with it four different times. I couldn't handle all that was happening to me. All I needed was a second to breathe without them crowding all around me and they wouldn't let me. The last thing I actually remember was feeling hopeless and begging God to save me cause I thought they were just trying to hurt me. I feel like all the progress of recovering from trauma with my new dentist has been flushed down the drain. Since that day I have nightmares of being trapped down and having the needle forced and not being able to stop them. I felt and feel violated. I am honestly crying just thinking about it now. I can't understand why they wouldn't just let me sit up, have a breather, and calm myself before continuing. I feel traumatized and I can't even imagine myself going to another dentist appointment now.
I don't want to blame the surgeon for this but I definitely do.
How am I supposed to recover from this?

Wow.. I don't know what to say jasm1nefl022. :( I'm so sorry this happened to you and it makes me both - sad and angry at the dental team for you. I see how you're wondering why they didn't give you a break and the thing that would bother me is the part with informed consent - if you are asking them not to proceed with the treatment, they shouldn't. Your nightmares sound scary and I see how this revived the trauma you had from the past.

Is there any chance to contact the practice and tell them how you perceived the treatment, asking why they didn't give you a break? Maybe you have someone - a friend or relative who would help you to get through it?
Also, would having a chat with your current dentist, who is so kind, help?

How long ago was the experience with you wisdom teeth removal?

Sorry about the very late response, I will be chatting with my dentist during our next appointment. I did tell the practice how I felt about it, but, honestly, they didn't have much to tell me, they acted like they were sorry but I don't even think the surgeon even knew who I was. The wisdom teeth removal was about a month ago now.

Hi there, sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience you had ?. And sorry to hear that you didn’t get much on a response or answer from the practice. Must have been a bit frustrating. Hope you find chatting to your dentist at your next appointment helpful.

Sorry about the very late response, I will be chatting with my dentist during our next appointment. I did tell the practice how I felt about it, but, honestly, they didn't have much to tell me, they acted like they were sorry but I don't even think the surgeon even knew who I was. The wisdom teeth removal was about a month ago now.

This is very unfortunate and certainly gave you a bad feeling, but for me, there is an another important thing.

Reading how the visit went, I can’t help myself, but have to reflect on the topic of informed consent. You need to consent to any procedure and it is your right to take away your consent at any time. In the most countries that’s the law and I would be surprised if that was any different in US.

When I read how you explicitely asked them NOT to put the iv in, then this is a withdrawal of your consent at that moment and they have to stop. What your reasons for the withdrawal are, doesn’t matter in that moment. So looking at this from this respective, you would have all the reasons to set up a complaint, regardless whether the surgeon can remember you or not. They should be able to explain why they proceeded despite your asking them not to.

Last edited:
Back