• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do you clean your teeth?

-Sonicare on deep clean several times a day (at least twice) with Crest total pro-health.
-Floss once or twice a day
-Interdental brushes after meals and after flossing
-Crest non alcohol pro-health mouthwash once a day.

Occassionally I break out the baking soda, maybe once a week......

My hub says I'm on overdrive but my gum disease is under control.

rp

Basic electric toothbrush twice a day, floss after meals and mouthwash twice a day, but I am violent with my mouthwashing :ROFLMAO: more than once I've been swishing so hard that my mouth has literally popped open and sprayed mouthwash everywhere! Like when you puff air into your cheeks, then hit them both to expel the air from your mouth...

Also use Boots antiseptic mouthwash once a week or so to make sure I get all the nasties! :)

My dentist gave me an oral rinse to use that I'm now hooked on. It's call CloSYS antispetic oral rinse and he recommends it for anyone with bridge work etc to keep bacteria at bay. The label says it kills harmful bacteria that causes gum disease. It is alchol free and actually very soothing. It comes with a mint flavor packet and you decide if you want it straight or minty flavored.

We just bought some at Walgreen's.

rp

1. How do you clean your teeth? What tools do you use?
2. How long does it take you to clean your teeth (including everything)?
3. How often do you clean them?

Well six months ago this was easy to answer - I didn't clean them ever :scared: I really couldn't bare ANYTHING hard in my mouth.

That was the old me though, I'm slowly combatting my phobia and now its:

1. I brush with a soft 'normal' brush (can't cope with bristles at odd angles just yet), and also now starting to use a tiny brush, my dentist gave me, to get in the gaps between the teeth that I have after the de-scale. Colgate sensitive toothpaste with enamel hardening.

2. I've managed to work up to about 2 minutes of brushing

3. At least twice a day, morning and night, haven't missed one since I started brushing again.

I use a regular soft toothbrush. I used to use a Sonicare but it made my teeth feel like the enamel was coming off.

I floss first for about 3 minutes. I brush for about 2 minutes. I rinse with Crest Pro-Health Enamel Shield for about a minute after brushing at night.

I only clean them once a day.

Floss with Floss Picker, Brush with an Oral B tooth brush, and then use antibacterial mouthwash.

1. Brush (with a battery Oral B toothbrush), floss and mouthwash

2. About 15 minutes, maybe a bit more. I am soon to be in braces so I can see this time increasing by quite a bit! :rolleyes:

3. At the moment I brush twice a day. Once with a soft manual toothbrush and before bed with my electric toothbrush (I floss once daily)

-Sonicare on deep clean several times a day (at least twice) with Crest total pro-health.
-Floss once or twice a day
-Interdental brushes after meals and after flossing
-Crest non alcohol pro-health mouthwash once a day.

Occassionally I break out the baking soda, maybe once a week......

My hub says I'm on overdrive but my gum disease is under control.

rp

Hey RP,

Just a head's up to you and anyone else using Crest-Pro Health mouthwash. I was at my dentist this past month and she has observed an odd brown staining/discoloration on her patients teeth who are using this mouthwash and warned me not to use it. Not to say it stains everyone's teeth who uses it, but just a warning and something to watch out for. I have also researched this on consumer reports and tons of people have posted and they are all reporting the same problem.

read further down, I switched to Clo Sys and a water pik. The crest total stuff made my gums/cheeks shred this superficial layer of skin off. No more of that, It was like using strip-eze in my mouth.

1. How do you clean your teeth? What tools do you use? manual and electric toothbrush (whichever i feel like using!)
2. How long does it take you to clean your teeth (including everything)? about 3 minutes?
3. How often do you clean them? Usually 3 times a day..

Twice a day with sensodyne toothpaste firstly I floss every night only not morning then twice a day recently with mouthwash.

Dave.:)

read further down, I switched to Clo Sys and a water pik. The crest total stuff made my gums/cheeks shred this superficial layer of skin off. No more of that, It was like using strip-eze in my mouth.

Oh! Oops! Disregard me then! Sorry to hear you had a such bad reaction to the pro-health but I'm glad to hear you have found a safe rinse that you are happy with. I tried the crest pro health for a brief period as well and it always disturbed me how when you would spit it out in the sink, it came out more in chunks NOT really bubbles and liquid! Never really could deduce why that would happen??? :( odd!

had the same thing, green gobs, then in the morning this layer of gum tissue- not good.

1. I have an Oral B electric toothbrush and I'm currently using Corsodyl toothpaste to try and get my gums back on track
2. Between brushing and mouthwash, probably 5 minutes.
3. Twice a day, provided I've remembered to put the toothbrush back on charge!

My current routine:

Morning: Mouthwash when I wake up after taking night guard out. After getting ready for the day I then brush using an Oral B electric for 2 minutes. Rinse with water.

Evening: Floss all of my teeth at least once. I usually do this while watching tv and take my time with it. Electric tooth brush for two minutes again. Rinse. Night guard goes back on.

In the past I have abandoned this routine, but I hope no more now that I am realizing the actual severity of dental problems I have and how easy it is for teeth and gums to fall back into bad shape. It's ridiculous. I have better care than most of my family, friends, and definitely my spouse yet I am the one who has the problems.

I used to never brush at night - too much pain and discomfort - and my teeth were never something I psychologically wanted to save - if that makes any sense?

Years ago I had a Phillips Sonicare - I went through two actually and they were great but I couldn't afford a new one so went to Oral B - awful toothbrush!! Way too hard and it felt like a drill!

Since extractions and partials - back to the Sonicare - Platinum version - absolutely brilliant!
Twice a day for the time I should plus I have little flossers to use after eating and rinse my partial after eating also. Plus I have a travel toothbrush pack with a tiny tube or toothpaste should I want to use it.

I do drink coffee (now through a straw only and an insulated cup - I drink less of it as I sip it more - it stays hot so I don't drink so much) and smoke and plan to get some Stain Away or something similar for my dentures (4 front uppers).

I also got a Philips Airflosser but I need some healing before I try it out.

1.) I use floss, a soft brustled toothbrush+ toothpaste, and mouthwash. The floss I get costs like 87 cents I can't remember the name of the brand other then its really cheap lol. My tooth brush is a Colgate brand I think? I can't remember. My toothpaste is Sensodyne Full Protection+Whitening and my mouthwash is Colgate Gum Health. Usually I use any of the sensodyne brands I really like them. This time Im trying a different one (the one I said here; usually I just use the daily repair/daily fresh or w/e.) Other than that brand I really like Colgate's enamel health stuff. :) I tend to switch around to whatever I feel like will benefit me. Ill most likely find something to stick with in Jan when I get a dentist check up. Also use water for rinsing after eating or chewing sugarfree gum.

2.) Ohoho boy do I take a while.
:rolleyes: I think I spend nearly 30 mins in the bathroom to an hour if I do my usual routine. Im also adding the fact I've had my wisdom teeth extracted so Im a bit slower and cautious about how I do it. I take, I think, 5 mintues or more to floss. (I floss rather slow while making sure to get everywhere and do it as gentle as possible but throughly) I brush for a good 3 mintues. Then i use the mouthwash for like 30 seconds to a mintue. It's mainly the flossing that takes a while because I wanna make sure I do a really good job.

3.) It really depends when I eat. Which isn't really much but, usually when I wake up I brush my teeth and use mouthwash. (Not really a breakfast eater; so I mainly just eat dinner, SOMETIMES lunch) And then after dinner, (after waiting 30 mins of course) i floss, brush and use mouthwash. I tend to floss twice depending on how much food I eat. If i eat a buncha lunch or something Ill most certainly floss because I don't like the idea of food just sitting there till I wait till after dinner to do the flossing all together.
Oh yeah also, depending on how often I eat, I always rinse my mouth out with water or chew sugarfree gum. :) It really helps with my anxiety, especially when Im out and about and unable to brush anytime soon. So tbh Im kind of a religious freak with my teeth LOOOL

Last edited:
I take my teeth out at night to clean them and put them back in in the morning. denture bath, cleaning tablets

Oral B battery two brush twice per day, I struggled to see what I am doing (my Dad says I should be able to feel what I am doing, ) my Dad can see in my mouth okay. I got poor lighting and mirror that I cannot always see what I am doing.

I use a soft manual brush by Nimbus (the compact size). This brush is the softed brush I ever use. It can only be purchase online as no stores carry them. I use a water flosser after I brush, then dental floss. The reason I use dental floss last is because I feel once I brush and water flossed, it would clean the majority of the debris and flossing would clean out the rest, instead of pushing more debris in between my gums if do this step first. Then I finished with a mouth rinse, such as Listerine. I use a salt water rinse once per week to help my gums heal whatever irritates it. Can't do it everyday as salt is abrasive to enamel.

Back