• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How Do You Cope?

P

Persephone

I'm finding dental problems to be hard to deal with emotionally/ psychologically.

Maybe it's because I'm a woman and I'm constantly bombarded on tv, movies, and magazines with The Perfect Woman with the Perfect Smile.

Leaving me feeling Less Than.

Maybe it's because I'm a teacher and kids (and teachers) can be very judgmental and downright cruel. Leaving me feeling self-conscious.

How do you cope? How do you grin and bear it? How do you put on a Brave Face at work and in your daily life?

when dental issues seem never-ending and may indeed go on for years

I know, I know...dental problems are NOT the Big C.

But, dental problems can be devastating.

This is something I can relate to. I am not a teacher, but I'm a librarian in a middle school, so I know about the way that kids and teachers can act.

The school I work in is a well-to-do area right on the coast of Maine, where many of my co-workers live in beautiful homes, take regular vacations, and they all get that nice tan look with sparkly white teeth.

Honestly, one of the things that helps me cope is this forum. Just knowing that I'm not alone, and reading others' posts and trying to help them makes me feel a little better.

If I start to feel really self-conscious, I try to do something to make me feel better about my appearance- a haircut or a new sweater or something. Sometime getting a compliment from someone about something like that is enough to help that problem.

I am a male, but I still have a hard time dealing with dental issues. Have you been able to talk the dentist about this? Sometimes just being able to verbalize it helps me out. I have seen a counselor, but I find being able to communicate that to the dentist makes a world of difference.

Back