• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

How do you floss your permanent crowns?

F

famv5

I am asking this question because I have been doing it a certain way for years. Just recently, my hygienist informed me that I've been doing it wrong. That, of course, got me thinking and researching and so far I have found that the way I was told and have been doing is right.

So I floss around my permanent crowns by slipping the floss into the gum, clean up and down along each tooth and then SLIDE it out. I was told many years ago not to pull the floss back down because it could damage the crown or pop it off, possibly.

Well, during my recent cleaning appointment, my hygienist told me that I should be treating my permanent crowns like any other tooth and flossing up and down. She said that you only slide out the floss around temporary crowns. Sigh. She also suggested a Waterpik which I just started using.

Does this sound right to you? Any of you that have permanent crowns, how do you floss?

M

mynr95

I floss my crowned teeth the same way you describe it, sliding out! I do repeat it 2/3 times though to compensate!
You hear so many horror stories about crowned teeth coming out I wouldn't do anything to hurry the situation along!

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I floss mine the same way as the rest of my teeth. My dentist said to do this (I only had to give special treatment to the temporary ones). I’ve had 3 of my crowns for years and (knock wood) no issues.

F

famv5

Interesting. Maybe both ways are fine.

I was just floored when she told me that I should floss them like my real teeth.

B

blinkakawize1

I stay close to the base of the tooth to avoid the welding. Then I just do a saw motion to get the string out. To prevent jerking and damaging the mold.

S

scaredofeverything99

Just floss like all the rest of your teeth. That's what I do.:)