• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do you floss your permanent crowns?

F

famv5

I am asking this question because I have been doing it a certain way for years. Just recently, my hygienist informed me that I've been doing it wrong. That, of course, got me thinking and researching and so far I have found that the way I was told and have been doing is right.

So I floss around my permanent crowns by slipping the floss into the gum, clean up and down along each tooth and then SLIDE it out. I was told many years ago not to pull the floss back down because it could damage the crown or pop it off, possibly.

Well, during my recent cleaning appointment, my hygienist told me that I should be treating my permanent crowns like any other tooth and flossing up and down. She said that you only slide out the floss around temporary crowns. Sigh. She also suggested a Waterpik which I just started using.

Does this sound right to you? Any of you that have permanent crowns, how do you floss?

I floss mine the same way as the rest of my teeth. My dentist said to do this (I only had to give special treatment to the temporary ones). I’ve had 3 of my crowns for years and (knock wood) no issues.

Interesting. Maybe both ways are fine.

I was just floored when she told me that I should floss them like my real teeth.

Floss permanent crowns just like teeth.

So I floss around my permanent crowns by slipping the floss into the gum, clean up and down along each tooth and then SLIDE it out. I was told many years ago not to pull the floss back down because it could damage the crown or pop it off, possibly.

That is for temporary crowns only.

Just floss like all the rest of your teeth. That's what I do.:)

Back