• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do you relax at the dentist's

G

Geraint

:-*I find having the dentist speak to me and reassure me very helpful in helping me relax. I have a fear of the drill and find the sound of the drill really unnerving so i have taken to taking a cd walkman with a relaxation cd in, with me when i need any treatment that involes drilling. Some of the cd i have listened to are;- Nature Wispers - sounds of Relaxation, musical songbirdsand Top Sante health and Beauty - the Ultimate Relaxation Collection.

The office I go to has flat screen TV's in all the rooms. That calms me down & gets my mind off what's coming. Other than that, the office staff always stops in to say hello and see how my previous is doing.

I'm having huge work done tomorrow morning that I HAVE to take Valium for & perhaps have some gas too. It's hard to relax when you KNOW the work that's going to be done. I prefer not to know & just show up. Then I have no time to think about what they are doing. LOL

I noticed communication helps alot both spoken and unspoken. Recently I've found that keeping eye contact with the dentist helps alot although it took everything in me to force myself to look in her direction at first, for some reason I never know what to look at during treatment...every direction feels awkward lol. It seems that I trust her easier though when I'm looking at her, probably cause her mask has that plastic clear peice over the eyes and at the right angle it works like a mirror of my mouth too, so I can see everything she is doing which has its good and bad points, depending on the person :) .

I think about what he would look like neked :redface: ;D :devilish: :drool:

relax whats that?
i like him explaining everything and he really is a great man but i dont know ill ever be relaxed.

christo2006 said:
relax whats that?
i like him explaining everything and he really is a great man but i dont know ill ever be relaxed.

Good point! Relaxed is a hard state of mind to achieve, I think for me "relaxed" means more of not shaking uncontrollably and not wanting to run down the road for dear life lol! But my heart never stops pounding I don't think, unless I really zone out :p. I'm more "tolerant" or "comfortable" but relaxed is a bit of a stretch.

yep me too relaxed- not actually being sick and then running away to hide !

Back