• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How does ab extraction/bone graft compare to other proedures?

S

sharon

I'm scheduled for an ext & bone graft on tooth #10 in a couple of weeks. Right now the plan is for consious sedation though I am thinking maybe I can handle it with it just oral valium. Can anyone give me an idea of how bad this might be, especially compared to other procedures. Many years ago I had a severly impacted wisdom tooth removed with only novacaine, it took an hour of what felt like jack hammering but I made it through fine and a couple of years ago I had a three hour procedure involving a rc and crown on the same tooth with no problems.

My main fears in the chair are that of gagging/vomiting/impressions and the unknown/unexpected. I don't worry about shots or pain. If I know in full what is to be expected I do much better

I'd like to know, generally speaking, is an extraction and bone graft very difficul? How do they compare with other procedures? I did unexpectedly have an extraction a few years go on tooth #13 (no time at all to prepare for that one!) and while it wasn't fun emotionally, the procedure was quite fast and not all that bad. I'm think I'm afraid that something will go wrong, such as the tooth breaking, and everything will be more difficult than expected. If that happens I'd rather be asleep.

Assuming everything goes as planned, how bad will this be, is it easy to do while being awake? Does the dentist need to put one of those props in to hold the mouth open? if so, I'm saying the heck with staying awake. That is one of the most uncomfortable things and I want no part of that torture.

For me the extraction was worse than the graft. The good thing is that the extraction is typically a few minutes. The graft was very simple for me and took about an hour. There wasn't any pain and it was mostly a little pressure and pushing as they pack in the grafting material. There were several short breaks as the dentist prepared the materials and went through the steps. My jaw wasn't tired and I didn't really need to hold my mouth open super wide like when you have a cavity filled. I went through both with just Novocain and was awake. I was achy afterwards for a few days but only took over the counter pain medicine even though I had a prescription for something stronger.

Re: How does an extraction/bone graft compare to other proedures?

Thank you Kemmie, I'm glad to hear it wasn't bad for you. I'm so hoping I can get through this with just local and a valium pill.

Any others who have had a bone graft and extraction all at once?

Back