• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How durable are porcelain dentures?

B

bradleyheathhays

I'm helping my mother decide between porcelain and acrylic for her first set of dentures, and we're concerned with how durable porcelain dentures are.

Other than when dropped, how often do the teeth tend to come out during normal use with porcelain dentures?

Thanks

Unless the denture is very retentive the porcelain teeth seldom come out. They will pick up staining at the denture tooth interface. High end porcelain denture teeth look very nice but so do plastic high end teeth. Candulor is just one company that makes nice denture teeth. There are others. I am NOT recommending this brand(nothing bad though) just a link to get a look at denture teeth.

I'm about to have a full upper denture made and am wondering why my prosthodontist said that porcelain dentures are rarely made anymore. I have read that they are heavier, and can cause speeded up bone loss for that reason, but since chewing is much easier, why are porcelains no longer favoured? Before my extractions, I had a porcelain bridge on the top of one side of my mouth, that met a porcelain single crown on the bottom and I could chew steak easily. With a plastic partial I have though, it is really, really hard to even chew toast.

In the old days the plastic teeth wore out quickly and looked bad.

Back