• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How is a deep clean done

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
What is a deep clean, does it hurt, and what happens. What do they use, do you need numbing. :butterfly:

What is a deep clean, does it hurt, and what happens. What do they use, do you need numbing. :butterfly:

I've had this done twice (and undoubtedly having it done sometime this summer) and it is the one procedure that doesn't scare the pants off me. It's called root planing and scaling.

I have it done without a needle anesthetic because I am SO SCARED of the numbing shots and the lack of feeling that results but usually they will recommend numbing. They used a gel that just numbed the gums. The hygenist used a combination of hand scraping and a sonic scaler.

Good description of the process: Deep cleaning

BH

Thank you blackhound, I haven't got bleeding gums, but I did have a bit of gum disease so maybe this is why this has been suggested, I am sure I was told I would have a deep clean by the dentist, I am not quite sure now what was said. I will find out next time I go. So thank you both and for the link as well. :butterfly: The part I clean is okay, she did say that it was to do the part I cannot do anything about. The link explains this to me.

Sorry to butt in, but I have another question about deep cleaning: if it's done once, does that mean you have to keep having it done every time you come in? I'm used to hearing I have nice teeth until seeing this new guy; now I'm worried he's just doing it for the bucks, not because I need it! No bleeding or painful symptoms (until he gets his hands on me the next time, that is). Thanks for any input. :)

Good question paronoidSuz it will be interesting to see the answer. I don't think it will be needed every time though, I think once they get to the bottom of things it is just a matter of following their advice. I guess we will both find out, I go next Friday so I will let you know, it you are before me, you can let me know.

I don't even know if I heard right there was so much going on. :butterfly:

I had it done once and then was back to regular cleans after that. I think it depends on how the gums heal up though.

I had my whole mouth deep cleaned and I've been back four times since to the hygienist and have only had regular cleanings after that. I think as long as the first deep clean gets rid of all of the bad stuff and you take really good care to clean your teeth properly, that the gums start to attach again and another deep clean shouldn't be needed.
I do have one area on my gum that is a bit redder than other areas, so I wonder if that particular bit will need doing again one day. But every time I see the hygienist she says she is happy and it has improved so much that I will keep my teeth. That is such a relief as this time last year I'd convinced myself I'd need them all removing!