• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how long after wisdom tooth extraction should i wait before chewing gum?

A

andz0r

Hey, I'm new to this site so please bear with me :p

I was just wondering when i'm able to chew gum again after a wisdom tooth extraction
I had 4 of them removed on 14/11. They did suture my bottom 2 because they were impacted.
So would chewing gum disrupt the stitches? would it hinder the healing process?
if I couldn't gum, would i be able to suck on a lollipop?

P.S. i'm asking all these question because i'm trying to quit smoking and found if my mouth is occupied, I'm less inclined to smoke.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Re: how long after wisdom tooth extraction should i wait before chewing gum?

I don't think I'd recommend chewing gum with stitches. I'd be concerned about the gum sticking to the stitches and causing an irritation.

Haha, I was going to suggest hard candies, but forgot you can't really suck on things either after surgery. Maybe lollipops, like the small dumdum pops. It'll give your hands something to do too.

hmm yeah you're right and I don't need any more problems right now. I think I'll just go stock up on lollipops for now :p

thanks for replying! :)

No prob. I just had mine out a month ago, so I completely understand the annoyance of being limited to what you can and can't do quite yet. Remember not to really suck on the lollipop too hard. Don't want to risk any dry socket issues.

Back