• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist?

O

Okira

I still can't believe I have an appointment in 6 days after 20 years of neglecting to go. I'm just curious how long you waited before taking the plunge. I truly can't wait until my appointment is over, and I'm not even going to have work done!!!
Peace,
Susan

I still can't believe I have an appointment in 6 days after 20 years of neglecting to go. I'm just curious how long you waited before taking the plunge. I truly can't wait until my appointment is over, and I'm not even going to have work done!!!
Peace,
Susan

HI Susan! It took me close to 4 yrs before ever going back to teh dentist...
If you get nervous of the day of your appointment keep in mind there not going to do any work just look at the teeth..

this is what got me by the 1st time..
So just hang in there everything is going to be okay.. Take Care

From when my teeth problems began in 1995 when I was told I would need a tooth pulled, it wasn't until 2007 that I had my first teeth pulled (2 of them) and a root canal. I feel a bit silly now. I literally fled from the office back then as I was getting the nitrous. Now that I've finally gotten through it, it was no big deal at all. 2 teeth out in minutes, no pain, no discomfort and all on 2 tiny Lorezapam's. The root canal was painless as well. Of course, the anxiety probably never goes away completely but at least I know I can do it without dying or throwing up! :)

Just take it step by step. First step, waking up that morning. Second step, walking into the office and sitting down. Third step, sitting in the chair. Fourth step, staying in the chair until appointment is over. Remember, you are the master of your domain (Not using the Seinfeld meaning) and you are in control. Empower yourself. ;)

My goodness it must have been 22 or 23 years or more since I visited a dentist. And when I finally did (a few months ago) due to parts of my molar falling out, I had to do it in baby steps. First I e-mailed the dentist about my phobia, then I talked to the girl on the phone, then I made an appointment for a consultation. The dentist promised me in his e-mail that he would not poke around in my mouth. He didn't, he was very nice and compassionate. I go in a month to have 2 extractions. Just yesterday I lost a big chunk of my other molar that has to be extracted. OMG ... ! :scared:

It took me 10 years and a raging tooth ache to tell my mom that I needed to go. It was definitely difficult as I kept my fear from her. But, I feel like I'm on top of the world. That was my only fear that kept me from enjoying life (it really took over the things I loved to do).

Like Shelley396 said. Knowing that I wouldn't have work done helped me a bit. I'm sure you'll do just fine!:grouphug:

I'm forced to go right now.......only 1 more year till I can make my own desisions though......I'm phobic due to a few bad expereances and a fear of needles:thumbsup:

For me, it's now almost 30 years. I haven't actually made my appointment yet, but I've made contact, which is a huge step for me!

For me, it's now almost 30 years. I haven't actually made my appointment yet, but I've made contact, which is a huge step for me!

Hi ReallyScared. Contact I think is the worst of it. It took me close to a month if not more to make contact with a dentist (after close to 30 years). Every time I tried to phone the office I would have a meltdown. I would begin crying and get a lump in my throat, my heart would pound, my hands would shake and was unable to dial the number. It took many tries for me to be able to dial the number. Heck, it took many tries for me to even get myself close enough to the phone to dial the number. I've lost track of the number of times I managed to dial 2 or 3 of the numbers then hang up because I was having such a meltdown and knew I would be unable to speak. Check out my post in OMG I've Done It! (or something like that ... seniors' moment here) ;D

So glad you've made contact ... it does get easier from here on in.

Group Hug for ReallyScared: :grouphug:

15 years, my first appointment for a filling tuesday and i'm getting real nervous now. the last filling i had done was when i was about 9/10.

It was about 20 years for me, too. I was so scared that even when I lost a filling about 15 years ago I still couldn't bring myself to go. It was only when I started having issues with TMJ in October that I finally went. Now that I've had my various treatments done, I can't believe that I allowed myself to live in that kind of terror for so long. I have to say, the terror and fear caused by not going was easily a thousand times worse than actually going. Sometimes, your brain can be your own worst enemy...if you let it, it'll play all sorts of nasty tricks on you.

Somewhere between 9 and 10 years.. may not seem as long but when it is nearly half of your life, it is!!

It was about 20 years for me. Only thing that finally got me there was falling and knocking out a front tooth. Vanity was stronger than fear..otherwise I'm sure I still wouldn't have gone.

Thanks exactly how it was for me CindsyS but in my case, double the number of years.

The last appointment I had was in 1974! I have been to the dentist twice after that due to needing to have a molar pulled one time and two molars the other. My fear started when I was 8 years old...I fell on a slide and shattered my front tooth. Being we were from a small town I saw the towns only dentest who must have been around 70 years old. I remember him giving me shots which hurt like hell. My next bad experience came when I was 14. I remember the dentist actually hitting me and yelling at me! He had given me gas and novacaine, and I still felt the drilling. He gave me a shot (in the arm) what I am sure was demerol, without notifying my mother in the waiting room. Since I was kind of drugged up my mom thought I was imagining the hitting. Turned out this dentist was later arrested for child abuse for doing the same thing to another child. Luckily he has lost his license. I wonder how many other people he scarred for life....
Ok back to the question posted....I made my first appointment almost 3 weeks ago. Teeth in really bad shape. I saw an ad for sedation dentistry and made an appointment. I had my checkup and got the bad news. All upper teeth need to be extracted along with a bottom molar which is broken below the gum line. I have opted to go under general anesthesia and have this done all at one time. I have also got my impressions made last week and the surgery is scheduled 3 weeks from now. I am so looking forward to being able to smile again.

It was 21 years for me. And just like ScaredStiff and CindyS, it was vanity that finally got me to make an appointment. It's sooo nice to be able to smile again ;D

Hello
10 years for me , I think this year I have been to the dentitst and Ortho more times this year than in my intire life 7 times so far

I waited 15 years until I broke two #6 molars and had no choice other than to go. I had temporary patch fillings put in which didn't involve any injections or drilling but then they had to be replaced with proper fillings and this is when my problems started.

Most of my old fillings (+30 years old) need replacing so I'm opting for 2 x 2hour sessions with IV sedation or I'll never get through it all.

I haven't yet booked the appointment but will do soon....

I think six years was the max for me because I kept having root canals every two years for a while due to probs with cosmetic dentistry nightmare, and then nothing between 2001 and 2007. I also didn't go for about seven years between 17 and 24. I used to worry about my teeth when I didn't go for seven years but then when I went I only needed 1 filling (and I am sure I didn't need that as it's tiny). I don't bother going unless I have to. Check ups every six months are not a great idea if you have x rays each time. These days I've noticed they don't do the x rays unless you are in pain. Luckily these days most dentists are into preventative treatment and don't drill unless absolutely necessary. Beware of any that get the drill out before you've even opened your mouth ....:censored:

The last appointment I had was in 1974! I have been to the dentist twice after that due to needing to have a molar pulled one time and two molars the other. My fear started when I was 8 years old...I fell on a slide and shattered my front tooth. Being we were from a small town I saw the towns only dentest who must have been around 70 years old. I remember him giving me shots which hurt like hell. My next bad experience came when I was 14. I remember the dentist actually hitting me and yelling at me! He had given me gas and novacaine, and I still felt the drilling. He gave me a shot (in the arm) what I am sure was demerol, without notifying my mother in the waiting room. Since I was kind of drugged up my mom thought I was imagining the hitting. Turned out this dentist was later arrested for child abuse for doing the same thing to another child. Luckily he has lost his license. I wonder how many other people he scarred for life....

Sorry to hear of your dreadful experiences. I am not surprised you are phobic. When I first went to the dentist I was given several fillings without any painkiller. As it was my first trip I didn't realise that wasn't the norm. I was about six.

Back