• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long do composite resin fillings last?

D

depressedbunny

I’m 19 and have fillings in almost all of my teeth. I’m worried that I’ll need dentures eventually because I know fillings can only be replaced so much. I should mention that I have great oral hygiene routine and do everything I can to take care of my teeth. How long do these fillings last?

Hi.

So I see this is in the ask the dentist section but thought I would just add in until this is answered. But I think it’s hard to put an exact number on their lifespan as it depends on a variety of factors I would have thought.

I wanted to reassure you also that there are many options in dentistry these days to save teeth before the need for dentures! So try not to worry too much.

Well done for the great oral hygiene routine and taking care of your teeth.

Anyone else have any information on this?

Everything I’ve read online on dentistry sites says about 5-10 years *on average* I have resin fillings in my mouth that are 18 years old and still doing just fine. Also, I’ve had a few resin fillings replaced (due to age of the filling, coming out, etc) with no issues. I’m 46 & still have all of my teeth! Best of luck to you!it sounds like you’re doing an awesome job of caring for your mouth. ?

Composite resin is also able to adhere easily to the enamel, which means less of the natural tooth structure needs to be removed for the placement of a composite filling. Once in place, composite fillings will also not corrode or expand like metal fillings can. Although they have a shorter lifespan than amalgam (metal) fillings, composite fillings will last about 5-7 years.

However, the lifespan of a composite filling is determined by factors such as:

• The location in the mouth
  • Oral hygiene habits
  • Diet
  • The occurrence of bruxism

Last edited:
As @TKB1974 said, there are lots of factors that can play into how long a composite filling lasts.

There's also a thread with a similar question here:

It's really difficult to put a figure on how long they'll last, because composite resin is very technique-sensitive, so a lot depends on the skill of your dentist and how carefully they've been placed. Done properly (and with a great hygiene routine like yours), they can last for a very long time.

…. and as a small addition, if a filling is not ok anymore, it gets replaced which still leads to a tooth with a filling and not to dentures. :)

Back