• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

How long do fillings last?

S

Samereynolds

I already have one filling in my front tooth and I’m going to get the rest done in two weeks. So my four upper front teeth need fillings. I think they’re called composite fillings? I forgot to ask my dentist, how long do they last? I’m scared that one day I’m going to bite down on food and they’re going to fall off, leaving me with a broken tooth. I feel like I should carry a temporary filler emergency kit on me at all times 😂

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I've got some amalgam fillings in my back teeth that have lasted 45 years so far... the composites in my front teeth were put in 43 years ago, they were among the very earliest composites available on the market, my dentist was very proud of having got them... the new ones are immeasurably better in every way.

Thanks for making me feel really old :)

S

Samereynolds

Thank you that makes me feel a bit more reassured about my front fillings although I think I will avoid opening things with my teeth like I used to.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
That's a good idea. Your teeth are really not built for that kind of work!