• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long do fillings take?? Will I be able to go to the party?

J

JaneyG

Hi all,

I have a couple of fillings tomorrow and my appointment isn't until 4:30pm... I'm going to a party for 7pm :o

It's obviously not going to take that long, but will all of the numbness, etc have worn off? I don't mind if I'll be a bit uncomfortable, but I don't want my face to be so numb that I look weird...

I really don't want to miss the party and we can't really reschedule - reassurance please??

Anyone? I'm sorry - I know it hasn't been long but I'm worried that I wont be able to go and it's a surprise party for a very close friend :(

Thanks, I really do hope so.

I don't mind if it's still a little numb, I can still have fun - I just don't want to look stupid!

Unless I'm wrong, I believe the numbness only affects nerves and not muscle control. Even when you're fully numb, it shouldn't change your appearance.

well when Ive tried to drink when numb I can end up dribbling so there is some localised effect on facial muscles, but not drooping. But don't worry, you won't be dribbling at the party Janey.

Thanks guys! I went to the party and had an AMAZING time, hardly even though about them :)

The numbness seemed to wear off really quickly, within less than an hour I think I could smile quite normally (normal enough to not look silly) and felt fine, wasn't really in any discomfort either.

They feel quite strange but I've never had a filling before, I guess soon enough they wont feel so weird and it will just feel like a normal tooth.

I'm not one to be scared of needles, but I couldn't believe how long the needle was in my mouth for - I was expecting, like an injection in your arm for example, for it to be there for maybe a second... wasn't too bad though, just really strange and felt like a "nails on a chalkboard" feeling.

Thanks guys! I went to the party and had an AMAZING time, hardly even though about them :)

The numbness seemed to wear off really quickly, within less than an hour I think I could smile quite normally (normal enough to not look silly) and felt fine, wasn't really in any discomfort either.

They feel quite strange but I've never had a filling before, I guess soon enough they wont feel so weird and it will just feel like a normal tooth.

I'm not one to be scared of needles, but I couldn't believe how long the needle was in my mouth for - I was expecting, like an injection in your arm for example, for it to be there for maybe a second... wasn't too bad though, just really strange and felt like a "nails on a chalkboard" feeling.

Yes dental injections are different, they look worse but if the solution is delivered slowly and topical used they can be totally comfortable...a dental injection done too quickly would give you a major bee sting affect and such experiences in the hands of rushed dentists seem to have contributed to many a poster's anguish...I was lucky and even from mid 1970s in NHS had experienced topical plus slow delivery; and so can still say I've never found one painful so far....the ones now though are even better...:)

Back