• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long do I have to wait after smoking with a dry socket?

M

Mieniets

I had all of my wisdom teeth removed 10 days ago. I didn’t smoke at all, like the doctor had said, because I didn’t want to get dry socket. I still took my BCP, and was told I was already at risk for dry socket, then ended up getting it anyways in my bottom left side. I felt no pain for the first two days after my wisdom teeth surgery, but believe I developed my dry socket 7 days ago, I didn’t end up seeking treatment till Monday. The pain is definitely tolerable and even sometimes completely gone. i have returned to work however and my normal life activities other than smoking. I am very stressed and need to smoke, wondering what will happen if I do or if it’s probably okay to smoke.

Hi Mieniets,

wow, so you stopped smoking for the whole 10 days to make sure your socket would heal properly, that's great, I sometimes see people who do not manage to go without a cigarette even half an hour after an extraction so this is impressive. After 10 days your healing should be stable enough for a cigarette not to cause any harm, I am however not sure what the effects are if you actually have dry socket. My only idea to this would be to call your practice and ask them..

Here is a link abut smoking after a tooth removal, it also contains an advice about how to protect the extraction site during smoking so you might try that to be sure..

All the best wishes

Hi,

I can ensure you 100% that you don't have any dry socket because dry socket is very very painful and no painkillers can really deal with it. It sounds like you are going through rather a longer healing than desired. The pain/discomfort should lessen over time.

Back