• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does it take for the extraction hole to cover up? (surgical extraction)

D

dentalfear

How long does it take for the extraction hole to cover up? (surgical extraction)

Hello

It looks like my healing is going well after the surgical extraction exactly 4 weeks ago. I had an impacted tooth extracted thru GA. I had a partial numbness which seems to be going away slowly too (hew!), and I am glad that everything seems to be fine despite my panic attacks.

I am back from my third post op appointment. My OS is really nice and helpful, however she wants me to come back in one month for another checkup (it would be the fourth!). So I am now wondering if my healing is slow - well, it's been exactly 4 weeks, and I still have this black hole behind the molar - not too big, but def there's a hole. According to her, the wound healing is as she would expect it to be at this point, but still has more to go. I am 41 and def a bit old for this surgery.

I am curious how long it took for your hole to close up after the surgical extraction. I am religiously cleaning out with the syringe whenever I eat.

Thank you
DF

Re: How long does it take for the extraction hole to cover up? (surgical extraction)

Hi it takes different people different lengths of time to recover. As you are being monitored by the OS I wouldn't worry you sound as if you are doing okay and are in good hands. :butterfly:

Re: How long does it take for the extraction hole to cover up? (surgical extraction)

I agree with Carol - I had some wisdom teeth out 5 weeks ago and I've had 3 post-surgery checkups. I'm still on the salt-water rinses, too! Sounds like you're doing the right thing. It just takes time.

I still had visible holes at the extraction site for well over a month after the surgery, from what I recall. After the holes started to fill there was still an "indentation" for several more months.

Gum tissue is slow to heal when it comes to extractions, and bone regeneration is even slower. It takes many months for everything to get back to normal. Sounds like you're doing the right things, and following up with your OS is the key thing. Good luck and it'll be back to normal before you know it :)

Thank you for all replies - they all relieved my worries. I still have a small hole after six weeks, but I believe I am still healing! I have never thought that it would take this long. Thanks again!!

Back