• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does it take for tooth with a root canal spread to jaw bone ?

S

swampiesue

Not sure if I should ask for an earlier appointment, as you know I have a crowned tooth with an abscess, and I have an appointment on Monday. However I am getting more and more in a state about this. I don't want to go before Monday, but the worry of the tenderness of the tooth and the lump in the jaw bone is still there. The tooth is getting more and more tender but still does not hurt as in through the roof pain.
Please could you tell me how long it takes for a tooth infection in a root canalled tooth spreads to the jawbone,:confused: I am starting to get really anxious that this tenderness means the infection in root of the tooth will get into my lower jawbone and I will have to lose more teeth or part of my jawbone. My last lot of anti-bionics finished Saturday the 29th but the infection has never gone completely. Should I bring my appointment forward or is it safe to leave it till Monday.:confused:

Last edited:
I would think you will be fine until Monday, if you are worried, ring your dentist and let them advise you, if they thought it was needed sooner they would have booked you in sooner.

To try and put it in perspective for you, I had an abscess for over 20 months left untreated by an incompetent dentist for over 20 months to my knowledge, the dentist I did that sorted it out for me said it had been there for a long time maybe even years. I have had it sorted out now and got it cleared up, I still have the tooth waiting for a crown but my jaw and bone are fine.

So I am sure a few days wait will be okay, try not to worry too much, nothing will happen to you before Monday. I know you have had a lot of antibiotics, I did too but it will get sorted out and you will be fine.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover:

Thanks Carole, You have put my mind at rest, Bless You. :XXLhug: :hug5:

This infection in my tooth has been ticking away now for about a year, I think all I have been through over the past few years as just made me become over anxious about things. I am also scared of dentists, to the extent that I am too scared to ask questions. I am more terrified of the dentists than the work it self. Although the extraction is the one bit of work that I am terrified of. I have had extractions, RCs, ,fillings, bridges and Crowns in the past and none of it bothered me, but this past two years has reduced me to a quivering wreck suffering panic attacks and on 3 Types of medication for depression and anxiety.

I also have a crown and bridge and have had rct's, but also for me the two years before getting my abscess sorted out and dealing with a dentist that was horrible and uncaring to the point of telling me there was nothing wrong and that it was neuralgia had me in such a state of fear, I have always been and still am terrified of having work done I really didn't know what to do.
I did find a really good dentist and got quite brave, I ended up having two rct's and calmed down a lot, but unfortunately he left, and the one that took over is not so nice so I moved practices and now I have lost a lot of the confidence I had, so feel like I am going back to square one. I do intend to keep looking for another dentist but for now I have one that is okay.

You will be okay until Monday, hopefully your tooth won't kick off again before then. I kept doing salt water rinses, I also rinsed after eating when possible, I know it is hard to brush a tooth that is giving us a bit of trouble but if brushing is not possible you can rub some toothpaste on your tooth and around the gum it might help.

Let us know how you go on, I wish you Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Sounds like you and have had a bad time of if Carole, I too had a dentist shout at me, because the bridge he had made for me hurt my teeth ( long story another thread lol). I then found a really nice dentist, who was unable to sort the problem out so was referred to the Eastman, and they referred me to one that could sort the bridge, but and recommended a treatment plan including sorting the tooth with the missing canal. However this dentist seemed to think it would be ok when he had sorted the bridge on the other side.

Like me Carole, seems we have both been victims of the same things, I am shocked at the way you were shouted at the dentist, but not in the least bit surprised. Sadly this seems to be happening more and more. I am not sure what will happen with me, but I hope you will soon get your appointment from the hospital so that you can draw a closure to the whole thing. :hug5:

Thanks for the tips, I have some Ibuprofen which I am taking as little as possible at the moment but are there if I need more. xx

Hi, I would just like to add that I too have been on the receiving end of a very uncaring and plain horrible dentist. He made me feel very uncomfortable but then told me I made him feel uncomfortable.

Asking questions is good, and if a dentist can't answer a question he should be able to point you in the right direction to get the information you need. Thing is, people still go to these dentists for their dental care so they must be making some people happy.

I was told we had a personality clash but i'm the kind of person that just gets on with everyone so I don't know how that came about!

To be fair to him, I took a little more time than most because I was so jumpy and nervous in the chair, hanging on for dear life to the arm rest and fidgeting. I suppose some dentists just don't want to have to deal with patients like me or can't be bothered or something like that, but that didn't help my confidence and being the sensitive soul i am I expect all dentist to be like that now.

Hope you get your tooth sorted swampiesue

I am sorry you had such bad experiences Suzie, like you I am very sensitive, I also have an anxiety disorder which I have always been honest about. I feel now that all the people I speak too dismiss me as overreacting and me being stupid. I feel dentists especially have thought oh god, it's her again, now I am always asking for justification and seeking approval that I have done the right thing in coming to them. I still worry so much that they might not believe what I am saying.

It can be hard when you are sensitive. Which is why I guess I kept quiet and believed everything I was told despite my body telling me otherwise.

I am sorry you had such bad experiences Suzie, like you I am very sensitive, I also have an anxiety disorder which I have always been honest about. I feel now that all the people I speak too dismiss me as overreacting and me being stupid. I feel dentists especially have thought oh god, it's her again, now I am always asking for justification and seeking approval that I have done the right thing in coming to them. I still worry so much that they might not believe what I am saying.

It can be hard when you are sensitive. Which is why I guess I kept quiet and believed everything I was told despite my body telling me otherwise.

Try not to worry about feeling silly. We all feel that way, I'm sure some dentists do too, when they get dental treatment because, well, they must see a dentist too sometimes even if it's just to get there 'pearly whites' whitened.

The anxiety you feel about what the dentists thinks is common. One thing that screams out to me on here is that their are many people that feel just as you do.

I no longer try to explain that I feel nervous. It is pretty obvious I would have thought. If the dentist asks, then they are inviting me to tell them, otherwise they should be able to figure out that i'm not going to tolerate a rushed job.

Good luck.

I feel dentists especially have thought oh god, it's her again.

I think this all the time too. I feel certain that I must be the worst patient they've ever seen. I don't lie flat (that is, I have my knees bent up b/c I am so tense), I dig my nails into my arms, I don't go out of my way to be friendly or pleasant (although I try not to be rude either- just kind of neutral).

I even asked the assistant one time if I'm the worst patient, and she said no, which really made me wonder "How could someone be worse than me?!"

We all worry about this, so you're not alone, and I doubt the dentist thinks that. :)

Hi Just to let you all know, that the dentist was lovely, He took an X-Ray ( which he did not look at there and then) he has made an appointment for next week and he is going to have a go at finding the third canal. I know there is a chance that he might not find it and it will still need to be extracted but I am really pleased he is going to give it a try. :) He has also told me to contact me should the tooth get really painful for some anti-biotics.

Back