• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long does it take to heal post extraction?

B

bennybear

I got a top molar (or what was left of it) removed on Thursday. It doesn't ache as much anymore but if I accidentally bite on food on that side of my mouth, it can really hurt and make it ache for an hour or so.

This concerns me, because I will be having a bottom molar on the OTHER side of my mouth taken out in a little under a month. If I still can't eat on the proper side of my mouth by then, I don't want the tooth taken out just yet because I won't be able to eat at all.

How long is reasonable until I can start eating properly again?

Purely going by my own experience you should be able to eat on that side by the time your other tooth is removed ;)

It should be OK long before the next treatment.

I suppose it all depends on how fast you heal. I had a baby tooth out when I was 14 and was eating normally (including gummy bears!) that afternoon. But i'm sure it will be healed by the time you get your other side done!

Rinsing with salt water has really helped me to heal up fast. Did the dentist say anything about this?

Rinsing with salt water has really helped me to heal up fast. Did the dentist say anything about this?

He did and I've been doing that, I just wanted to know a general idea of when it would heal so I knew that I could keep my next appointment.

This is only a ball park figure and based on my own experience, remember everyone is different, when I had my tooth removed it was between 5 and 7 days before I felt confident to brush near it and eat properly, most people seem to eat normal before me but I have thing about feeling properly healed before I eat normal. I am just soft, you will be healed before you need the other tooth out, so you will be fine, after the 3 days you will be surprised how quickly things change and get back to normal.

I hope this helps but nobody can give you an exact answer because we are all different. Good luck with your healing, you will be alright :bear::grouphug: Try not to worry, this time next week you'll see. :grouphug:

Best wishes :butterfly:

You should be ok Benny

I had two extractions recently, each healed pretty rapidly and were fine within two weeks

The gum is still pretty soft though, so if I eat crisps (chips) can hurt a tad, but not really a problem.

Back