• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long for root canal infection to resolve?

S

Spooked

I had root canal treatment today on an infected tooth - the decay and infection had nearly reached the nerve and I was probably very lucky not to have a massive toothache. The x-ray also showed infection higher up in the bone above the tooth!

I have two more dental visits to complete the root canal. It feels a bit sore today after the anaesthetic wore off.... I was wondering if anyone knows how long it'll take for the infection in the bone to sort itself out? Presumably the antibiotics/medication pumped into the root canals will take care of the infection eventually?

Spooked :innocent:

After having rct you can expect to ache a little bit for a couple of days or so. Pain killers should help, if you are worried phone your dentist and ask them for advice they know what they have done and can put your mind at rest. Over the last year I have had 2 rct's. One I had no after effects and it went like a dream, the other I was sore after and needed a course of antibiotics. Every one is different and each tooth is different, your dentist has seen the tooth and can best advise you on the condition. If they thought it wasn't worth trying to save the tooth they wouldn't do it.

I hope by now you are feeling better, and have got the problem resolved.

After the rct the bone around the tooth may take a while to heal and look normal on an X-ray (sometimes up to a year) but your dentist should see a progress within a month or so.

Back