• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long for stitches to dissolve?

M

mscam

Hi All--

Looking for some people to share personal experience to keep my hypochondria in check. I had 4 extractions (including one wisdom tooth) done about 72 hours ago. I am starting to notice hanging threads from the stitches in the extraction sites and I am doing my best not to play with them with my tongue. I don't have any pain and I've been doing salt water rinses and trying to gently brush without touching the sites. I am reluctant to call and check in with my dentist in the absence of any "problem" but my follow up is not until March 7th.

Is 72 hours too soon to start feeling stitches come out? I think I followed all the rules-- still eating soft food-- but I did have some soup/tea yesterday which from reading online is a "no".

Any reassurances or advice would be greatly appreciated...

That sounds fine. Feeling stitches isn't a warning sign. If anything had gone wrong, you would most likely have an increase in pain.

Back