• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

How long for teeth to "settle" after large fillings?

Susanne

Susanne

How long does it take for teeth to settle down after a large filling? I had three fillings done a week ago, all on the lower left side. Back two molars were do-overs of previous fillings because decay had started around the edges. Both are large fillings. I've noticed pain when I chew on that side -- especially hard or crunchy foods --and it also hurts some when I try to floss around the very back molar. I don't know if that is to be expected or if my new dentist did not do the fillings properly.

S

ScaredyCat22

How long does it take for teeth to settle down after a large filling? I had three fillings done a week ago, all on the lower left side. Back two molars were do-overs of previous fillings because decay had started around the edges. Both are large fillings. I've noticed pain when I chew on that side -- especially hard or crunchy foods --and it also hurts some when I try to floss around the very back molar. I don't know if that is to be expected or if my new dentist did not do the fillings properly.
it can take a week or 2 but if you have not been back yet for a bite adjustment I would start there. If your fillings are too high it will cause pain with chewing. If that is the only time you have pain you most likely need a bite adjustment. this will not fix itself. If you have random aching at other times when you are not chewing then I would be concerned. brief sensitivity to heat or cold can be normal but lingering pain can be a sign of irreversible pulpitis. It doesn't mean the dentist did the fillings wrong it would mean the fillings were close to the nerve.