• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long for teeth to "settle" after large fillings?

Susanne

Susanne

How long does it take for teeth to settle down after a large filling? I had three fillings done a week ago, all on the lower left side. Back two molars were do-overs of previous fillings because decay had started around the edges. Both are large fillings. I've noticed pain when I chew on that side -- especially hard or crunchy foods --and it also hurts some when I try to floss around the very back molar. I don't know if that is to be expected or if my new dentist did not do the fillings properly.

How long does it take for teeth to settle down after a large filling? I had three fillings done a week ago, all on the lower left side. Back two molars were do-overs of previous fillings because decay had started around the edges. Both are large fillings. I've noticed pain when I chew on that side -- especially hard or crunchy foods --and it also hurts some when I try to floss around the very back molar. I don't know if that is to be expected or if my new dentist did not do the fillings properly.

it can take a week or 2 but if you have not been back yet for a bite adjustment I would start there. If your fillings are too high it will cause pain with chewing. If that is the only time you have pain you most likely need a bite adjustment. this will not fix itself. If you have random aching at other times when you are not chewing then I would be concerned. brief sensitivity to heat or cold can be normal but lingering pain can be a sign of irreversible pulpitis. It doesn't mean the dentist did the fillings wrong it would mean the fillings were close to the nerve.

Back