• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long have you left an abscess untreated?

How long have you left an abcess untreated?

• Until next appointment

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Up to 6 months

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • 6 months to a year

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Over a year

Votes: 57 61.3%

• Total voters
S

Strelitzian

1. Until next appointment
2. Up to 6 months
3. 6 months to a year
4. A few years

All depends, I've had some excrutiating absesses that needed emergency treatment because the pain was unbearable. I've had others where my face swelled up, those are scary too, the cellulitis can be dangerous. I've had others not so painful, and I'm ducking from the dentists on this board on this one, but I used to wait it out till the pain died down if I could stand it cause the root canal would be easier. The longest: I had one that I needed to see an endodontist for a repeat rct which he did, it was still draining months later and he said I would have to have an apicoectomy, couldn't do it, eventually it went away but it took a very long time. I still have the tooth!

rp

Mine i just lwft and they kept coming back this has gone on for years..but now had offending tooth removed fingers crossed it will be gone for good!

Nikki xx

How long have you left an abcess untreated?
Until next appointment
Up to 6 months
6 months to a year
Over a year******
i let themgo till they went away self treatment as well
4to 6 motrin and soaking with peroxide:shame:

The shortest possible time. Why?

Its when the sheer white hot searing pain burns into your brain and brings you to your knees in utter agony, I suddenly find dental phobia goes away for a bit and I'm banging on the surgery door for help.

Agghh!!

:o

Can Dentist prescribe medication for quiting smoking

A week the pain was too much I couldn't sleep and I would cry. So i went to the emergency dentist and they prescribed me antibiotics and then i had no pain after taking it. I had to have a root canal though.

I've only ever had one abscess.. the pain started whilst i was on holiday in Disney World of all places! I tried to deal with the pain (not wanting to ruin the holiday and hoping it would go on its own)..but it was that severe that after 3 days i was literally non stop crying in agony!! So yeah after 3 days whilst on holiday i went to the dentist.....
Could not have put up with that sort of pain!

I have had abscesses on and off in different teeth for the better part of twenty years. It was the one of my bottom left molar that finally caused me to seek out dental treatment in 2008.....unfortunately, the tooth could not be saved, but all my decay is taken care of and my mouth is healthy.
I would never go to the dentist....I would do home care measures to relieve the pain and vow to go when the pain/swelling/what have you went away and then I never would.

I didn't leave an abscess untreated, I all but begged a previous dentist to x ray my mouth because I was in agony. He didn't believe me or didn't care. I was left for 20 months with face swollen and all the symptoms that go with this complaint.

A dentist told me in 2006 I had an abscess so needed a root canal (and got it treated) even though I go every three months to dentist, I will never avoid getting an abscess treated if I get one again. I don't want to lose my teeth and get other problems.

I sooner get my teeth treated as soon as possible, even though the drill, needle and tools frighten me.

So far I've got an untreated abscess in my upper jaw for about 2 years now. I get some headaches from it, and I'm sort of wondering if I'm getting infective endocarditis because I've got a few of the symptoms of it, but so far still alive! :jump:

I did have one in 2015 which I was so scared to go to the dentist (even though I go every three months) but was in pain, I went to the doctors because I thought it was a sinus problem.

In the end of a couple of sleepless nights my parents made me go and booked an another appointment at the dentist, got given antibiotics, after having a few tests done, found by a dental xray, she knew I was scared and did not make any comments about my teeth.

dentist does check for signs of infection, will either need tooth taken out (think this is where I had my root canal done before) want to replace the tooth and asked questions to the dentist will my teeth shift if I have it removed.

At Christmas 2005 following on from my abscess in 2006, my parents booked me in to see an emergecy dentist who did a few test to see whether I did have an abscess he could not find a thing wrong, he prescription me so spray to put on my teeth, and advise me to see my dentist after Christmas and booked an appointment with my doctor incase it was my sinuses playing up. I could not eat very much in 2005.

but the pain was very similar to 2015.

I got a very difficult mouth to keep clean, this is one of the reasons my dentist like to see me every three months, not because of my dental health. I do hate my teeth.

I think the longest I *knowingly* went without being treated was a month (and that was because the dentist I was seeing at the time required a pre-authorization from my Dad's insurance company).

This time, however, it's been longer. I hadn't been to the dentist in roughly three years, and judging by the amount of infection and issues I've been having, I'm assuming that this tooth has had an abscess for quite some time. I am again waiting roughly a month from diagnosis to treatment, as the new dentist also required a pre-auth. from my new insurance company. Looking to pay about $650 this time around, but I suppose it's better than going toothless in the front.

I have never had a abscessed tooth, but my father had one several years ago (probably like over 5 years ago) and never got the tooth removed. He went to the emergency room and got narcotics and antibiotics for 10 days and once the pain and swelling went away, he left it alone. I told him to go the dentist but he has a intense fear of the dentist.​

Mine has been over a year now, the tooth rotted from the inside out at first causing a hole in the back then over the last 6mths it broke, and began to completely crumble leaving the outside parts of the tooth jagged & extremely sharp, cutting my cheek & tongue. The taste that comes from it sickens me, the constant pressure & severity of pain makes me want to either yank it myself or shoot myself in the head. The infection spread into my cheekbone, sinuses and blood it's causing low grade fevers and chills, ulcerative sores throughout my mouth and tongue cannot take antibiotics as they've created intestinal complications.. cannot get dentist/oral surgeon to take it out.. going to try er... :cry: pain has been excruciating!!!

2015 and 2016 same tooth, dentist said oh dear you got an abscess, she asked me in 2016 could I see the infection on my xray even though I dont know looking for I could see the infection, all black, took the tablets and had the treatment, I dont think I will be foolished enough to not leave my treatment. no matter how much I dont enjoy going to the dentist even though I been at the pratice 33 years

The abcess I had in 2006 I was unware as I was worried about my gum, this was with a different dentist I had a the time at the pratice, my current dentist was not on the scene at the pratice, I had a male dentist in 2006 who was a bit rough and scarey.

I've had (and my husband has too) abcesses that were excruciatingly painful, but became fine after treatment with antibiotics. The dentists said that these teeth would become infected again, and needed treatment, which we never went back for. Those teeth had abscesses more than 15 years ago, and the infection never returned.

Hi you have been extremely lucky for the infection not to return. Usually they do flair up and cause a lot of pain and in a lot of cases if left it can mean that you lose the tooth.

I am really pleased for you that you have both been so lucky but I wouldn't recommend anyone to leave a tooth untreated.:)

Back