• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how long should an extraction site be sore

B

babyblue

after extraction question

I had my four top teeth extracted today. After the extraction I had to have an alveoplasty and got stitches. My question is about the bleeding. I had this procedure done 12 hours ago and there is still bleeding. Is this normal with stitches?

Re: after extraction question

Having had quite a lot of extractions myself, and being a bleeder, I do know that if there has been infection present, it does add to the bleeding. However, 12 hours is a bit long I think so I would tend to think a phone call to your dentist would not come amiss. Did they give you any advice on stopping bleeding though? One of the remedies, may seem funny, but does work, is a used tea bag pressed up against the spot.

Just wanted to add to SS post....make sure it is black tea. There is something is the black tea that works to stop the bleeding.

I have had a lot of extractions over the last week some of them have needed stitches,i found my were bleeding for a couple of hours after,but then it all stopped

My dentist gave me an advice sheet and some gauze that i was too wet and place on the spot and apply pressure,if the bleeding continue after an hour then i was to phone him,but this was for anything bleeding a lot

i do remember the dentist saying it is quite normal if you wake up in the morning with traces of blood on your pillow this is quite normal

I hope it is better soon Best wishes MEL

Last question....I hope on extraction

I had my four front teeth extracted Tuesday. I also had an alveoplasty done. After all of that, I was given sutures. I can't see a clot where one of my front teeth were. Just the suture. There seems to be bloody discharge from that area too. Is this normal? Can you get dry socket in a sutured area?

Re: Last question....I hope on extraction

When I had my front teeth extracted I was super worried about this too.I also had stitches....the blood mixed with saliva lasts a fiew days and when I asked my dentist he said that dry socket hardly ever accure in the front teeth because they are much smaller and not as deep.Is there alot of pain?If you have a dry socket the pain would be allmost unbearable.....I am not a dentist ...just someone who asked the very same qestion some months ago.If you do think you have a dry socket you can go right to your dentist and they can pack it and medicate it and the relief is allmost instant.:)
I also wanted to say congradulations on getting the work done....you deserve a celebration....so when you feel better.....celebrate:sleepyjuice:

It can depend on the difficulty and nature of the extraction, but some bleeding for a day can occur. In most cases it should stop after an hour or so, but some can go on longer. You certainly can try the used teabag method or keep applying firm pressure with a gauze over the areas. In general, constant pressure should stop most bleeding with time. If you have taken some medications that affect clotting or have a genetic bleeding disorder, longer bleeding times might be normal for you.

If you have a concern, certainly contact your dentist.

Re: Last question....I hope on extraction

At times there can be some slight oozing from a socket area. As long as it's not severe or aching badly, it might not be much to worry about. You may not always see a clot in the socket area.

Dry sockets usually occur more often in the lower posterior areas regardless of whether a suture is present or not. I have never seen a dry socket after an anterior tooth extraction.

Abcess after tooth removal?

I have a red bump in between where me 2 front upper teeth were pulled out. I had an aveoloplasy done on the four upper teeth. I initially thought it was just the jaw recovering, but now I am wondering if it could be an abcess. It does not seem bothered by hot or cold....just when I touch it. Of course, my tongue won't leave it alone.
Could this be an abcess?

Re: Abcess after tooth removal?

Hard to say. It might be inflammation of the area due to a sharp spot on the bone that was accidentally missed. Usually when the teeth are gone, there shouldn't be any abscesses developing. If your next visit to the dentist isn't too far away (within a week or so), you could have them take a look at it since usually anything red and swollen isn't too normal.

Please tell me if it is a piece of bone that it will work itself out. I really don't want the dentist to cut into my gums again.

Well it's just hard to say. Actually sometimes there can be small reddish bumps that form as the area heals up so what I mentioned previously wasn't entirely accurate. It might just be the gum working it's way over a sharp crest of bone which doesn't need to be adjusted at all so don't let my statements alarm you.

If you're concerned, just let your dentist know the next time you're in. If it's not bothering you too much, you certainly could just leave it and see how it heals up. Usually given time, most areas do tend to change so you never know, that spot might just end up being perfectly normal after being allowed to heal up.

What is going on....I am very nervous

It has been a week since my extractions and aveooplasty on my four front teeth. The right side feels great, but the left side still feels bruised and swollen. Monday and Tuesday everything felt normal until I went to get my sutures out. Now the left side feels worse. I have 2 teeth next to the extraction side that are sore and seem a little lose. I thought maybe because the gums are swollen. I don't know. Do I need these teeth pulled out too or is it normal for other teeth to feel bad with the bruising?

Re: What is going on....I am very nervous

The teeth around an extraction or surgical site are often left feeling bruised (and even a bit looser) for a while after the procedure. I usually warn patients that this may happen.
I had my upper wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago, and the molars in front of the extraction site felt quite tender to bite on for 1-2 weeks afterwards. They were also quite sensitive to cold during that time.
Ask the dentist to have a quick look at them if you are worried. If the looseness/tenderness has only been since the surgery- then I think that things will setlle- however youobviously want to rule out any gum disease associated with these teeth. However if there was any obvious problem with these teeth it is likely that they would have mentioned it at your last visit.
Hope this helps
Regards
Mike

Last edited:

They did take a full set of xrays and they also did an exam to see what tooth to "hook" the partial denture to. I would think that if there was a problem they would have seen it. Right? All I have been eating since the surgery is soft food....so its not like I could chip a tooth .It seems wierd that I just had the stitches out Tuesday and then all the sensitivity came back. Also, the swelling is coming down, so maybe, just maybe, what I am feeling is everything localizing.

I really wish dentist would explain what to expect after surgery. When patients expect to be better after 48 hours and they are not, it does get quite concerning.

It can be difficult to know exactly how each patient will respond to treatment, but you are right, it is fair to give an idea about what sorts of things to expect. It sounds like things are on the mend now and that these other teeth are probably ok- just settling down- let us know if you need any more advice.

Last edited:

I went to the dentist to get my partial denture. The nurse said I was 'healing" nicely. My left side of of the gums is still really sore and bruised after 1 1/2 weeks.
She put in the partial and I took that thing out after 2 hours. The denture seemed to irritate that area more. I am going to let that side recuperate first. I don't know....I am ready to cry, I thought I would be feeling better by now. The right side feels good, I just don't understand why the left side is causing this much discomfort.

DrMike
2 questions (sorry)
Could someone have a gum infection on just the back side of the teeth....near the roof of the mouth but not in the front. Most of my discomfortness seems to generate from that area. THe nurse said I was healing fine, but all she looked at was the front of the teeth.
And this might seem like a dumb question, but I have been taking Advil. Unfortunately I can't swollow pills, so I melt them on a spoon. Could the pills irritate the roof of the mouth? It seems like the pills sit in that area before I can get them down.

Q1- It is possible that if you have gum disease that it could occur in one specific area of the tooth.
Q2- This is certainly a possibility- and may be what has happened. It is more common with drugs like aspirin, and is probably also possible with Advil.

It's worth asking for the dentist to have a look again and to look at the area you are talking about so that you knowv for sure.

Okay, I had my four front teeth extracted and had aveoloplasty surgery also. Two weeks later, and I still wasn't feeling better. I had a tooth, first molar....2 teeth away that was questionable. I noticed that it was loose and unfortunatley that needed to be extracted. I had that extraction done on Monday and it is now Wednesday....the area is still sore and the jaw is sore as well. how long should it be sore for? If I had dry socket, I would know it, right? The socket is deep and has a red covering on it. There was not much bleeding after the extraction. it is just the area surrounding the extraction site that is really sore. Is this normal?

Sorry, sound nervous. I never thought I would be having another extraction after just having extractions.

Back