• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long should I expect to be swollen and in pain..

J

JustMe1972

I had my upper left side wisdom tooth out a little over 48 hours ago. It was a simple removal and there was no problems. I am still rather sore, not really at the extraction site, but the teeth next to it sort of throb. Is this considered normal? How long should I expect to be in pain? Thanks for the help. :)
D03FB921-167B-3ADB-3ACE-506A3C73BCBB

Help anyone? I am really worried about getting dry socket...

Help anyone? I am really worried about getting dry socket...

I had a molar out last week (not a wisdom) but if its of help, I can share my experiances.

The danger zone for a dry socket is 72 hours. If you can get past that and provided you don't aggrivate it in some way, you should be fine. To avoid the dreaded DS, don't smoke, don't spit, don't use a straw. Gently rinse (don't spit) with warm water and salt. That helps a lot. I was given the advice of avoid eating anything mushy or tiny which could find its way into the socket.

I had mine out on Monday and it ached badly for about three days, then it was sore and gradually it was gone by Sunday, although I had an unknown abcess which had to be cleaned out when it was pulled.

In my case, I felt it throb in all the teeth around the site and all around the jaw, so I would guess what you are feeling is normal.

Thank You! Your experience has helped put my mind to rest, much appreciated! :cheers:

Back