• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long should I wait for an extraction?

M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
I have had a time with this upper molar (15). I have other posts detailing, so I will sum it up to say that since the end of May, I have had a root canal, oral surgery, and an apicoectomy. I have been on four rounds of antibiotics and ibuprofen round the clock. The last round of antibiotics did a number on my stomach and intestines, combined with the ibuprofen.

Two weeks after the apicoectomy (one week ago) I felt great and could even apply pressure to the tooth. I was off antibiotics and went off the ibuprofen. I felt good for almost a week, but this week the pain came back worse than ever before. My tooth feels bruised to the point where the inside of my cheek touching it hurts. I also have a headache and pressure behind my eye. The endo did perforate my sinus during the apicoectomy but I thought it had healed when the incision flap healed. No swelling and no fever. No sign of infection.

How long do I need to wait for the extraction, given that the area is still healing, and my poor body can't handle more antibiotics or ibuprofen right now? have been taking tylenol but it barely takes the edge off. I just want this tooth out now. I tried to save it, and hate to lose it, but I have had enough.
 
S

saralou35

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
183
I think I would get it pulled ASAP if the endo agrees? You may not need more antibiotics if you get it out soon! Maybe wait another week or so for a bit more sinus healing? I’m sure the endo can give u more advise! You really have been through the mill hun! No one can say u didn’t give that tooth a chance!! Xxx
 
M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
I think I would get it pulled ASAP if the endo agrees? You may not need more antibiotics if you get it out soon! Maybe wait another week or so for a bit more sinus healing? I’m sure the endo can give u more advise! You really have been through the mill hun! No one can say u didn’t give that tooth a chance!! Xxx

The oral surgeon, and the ENT said I would have to have antibiotics with the extraction, since there will be a sinus communication. I will most likely need some bone grafting as well, which was the reason I was trying to avoid extraction. It is going to be a pretty big procedure. I just can't deal with more antibiotics. I am still having cramping and diarrhea from the last round (so sorry to be so graphic). My doctor was already worried about c.diff with the last round.
 
grumpybear

grumpybear

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
107
I personally would extract the tooth asap if I was experiencing eye pressure. That would totally freak me out. But that said, is there any way you could wait till your digestive systems feel abit better first? Especially since you are going to need antibiotics for the extraction. What did your dentist recommend though?
 
M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
I personally would extract the tooth asap if I was experiencing eye pressure. That would totally freak me out. But that said, is there any way you could wait till your digestive systems feel abit better first? Especially since you are going to need antibiotics for the extraction. What did your dentist recommend though?

My dentist is on vacation this week, so I haven't been able to speak with her. I did call the endodontist yesterday and they are squeezing me in Friday to check for infection. But she mentioned more antibiotics!
A lot of it seems to be connected to sinus pressure, but I don't have a sinus infection according to the ENT, so I am at a loss. I don't think I csn get it pulled asap because my stomach is in such bad shape.
 
S

saralou35

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
183
My dentist is on vacation this week, so I haven't been able to speak with her. I did call the endodontist yesterday and they are squeezing me in Friday to check for infection. But she mentioned more antibiotics!
A lot of it seems to be connected to sinus pressure, but I don't have a sinus infection according to the ENT, so I am at a loss. I don't think I csn get it pulled asap because my stomach is in such bad shape.


Have they done a ct scan of sinus!? Maybe that would show tooth abcess too if it’s so high up in sinuses! I know u didn’t want to adjust the bite on it but u may as well if your gonna get it pulled but have the dentist take that tooth out of occlusion for now as that will maybe alleve some pressure off it! Also don’t know if you have tried them but you could try taking probiotics for a few weeks to see if they help your tummy! I really hope this nightmare is over for you soon mountainmana x
 
M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
Have they done a ct scan of sinus!? Maybe that would show tooth abcess too if it’s so high up in sinuses! I know u didn’t want to adjust the bite on it but u may as well if your gonna get it pulled but have the dentist take that tooth out of occlusion for now as that will maybe alleve some pressure off it! Also don’t know if you have tried them but you could try taking probiotics for a few weeks to see if they help your tummy! I really hope this nightmare is over for you soon mountainmana x

They haven't done a ct scan, and quite honestly I don't know that I can afford it right now. I have been taking probiotics daily since before the surgery. I may ask the endodontist about taking the tooth out of occlusion. The dentist did do that once, but after the wisdom tooth was removed, my bite changed.
 
S

saralou35

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
183
maybe the wisdom tooth removal has affected the bite! worth asking! its a long shot but might help!
 
M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
I met with my endodontist today. She said she wants to try one more thing before extraction, because the x ray looks perfect. She said the palatal root seems to be causing the problem, as the roof of my mouth near the tooth is tender. She is going to open everything up, and put some medicine in that root, to see if it kills any lingering bacteria. She is going to do this at no cost to me. She said I have already paid her enough for something that didn't work. She wants to leave the medicine soaked cotton in for a month, then re-evaluate and fill it back up if it is pain free.

I have to say I am relieved that we are not jumping straight to extraction. I do NOT have to take antibiotics for this procedure either, which is great!
 
S

saralou35

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
183
I met with my endodontist today. She said she wants to try one more thing before extraction, because the x ray looks perfect. She said the palatal root seems to be causing the problem, as the roof of my mouth near the tooth is tender. She is going to open everything up, and put some medicine in that root, to see if it kills any lingering bacteria. She is going to do this at no cost to me. She said I have already paid her enough for something that didn't work. She wants to leave the medicine soaked cotton in for a month, then re-evaluate and fill it back up if it is pain free.

I have to say I am relieved that we are not jumping straight to extraction. I do NOT have to take antibiotics for this procedure either, which is great!


Oh im do glad there might be a reason behind your pain and you don’t have to pay any more money! Is she going to do it soon?
 
M

MountainMama

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,522
Oh im do glad there might be a reason behind your pain and you don’t have to pay any more money! Is she going to do it soon?

Two weeks. I hope I can make it that long. Right now I am getting headaches, and pain in that side of my nose. I can't take anything but tylenol. I did see my general doctor today about my stomach, and she thinks it is a small ulcer. She prescribed me prescription strength prilosec and something that coats my stomach to stop the pain. I just want this all to end.
 
Top