• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much can a tooth take?

G

Getting Anxious

I had a root canal started 5 weeks ago, finished 9 days later, got a post and core 8 days after that, 1st bite adjustment 7 days after, 2nd bite adjustment 7 days after that and last bite adjustment 2 days later which was 3 days ago. 2 days ago I went to my PCP and got a prescription for anxiety meds. How much can one tooth take? I can chew on it with no pain but constantly get a stinging feeling. The tooth has been drilled and scraped and screwed and poked and drilled some more. Dentist says it looks good. Can this stinging discomfort be from all the poking and prodding? Please someone let me know- I'm ready to have it taken out. Also, I had a root canal on the opposite side at the same time so it was hard not to do some chewing on this poor tooth

What sort of discomfort do you mean? Does something provoke it or does it come on spontaneously? Is it a sharp or dull pain? How long does it last for?

It doesn't hurt when I chew- but all the time it's like a sensitivity zing - I can poke the core and there's no reaction- just this constant dull, achy kind of "don't come at it with a fork" kind of pain if that makes any sense. Originally my endodontist didn't think he could save it because it was a deep crack but then said it could work-the crack was above the gum line. My dentist x-rayed and did some cotton ball test and said it doesn't appeared to be cracked.

Also, he said that it could be a microscopic crack but there is no way to tell. Is that true? He also said the other teeth around it were fine. I have decided that I will get the tooth out rather than go through more root canal on it but I want to make sure it just doesn't need more time to settle. If I went to an oral surgeon about it, would they evaluate the tooth before extracting it?

Yes. Deep cracks are very unpredictable on how they'll react, one would hope the OS would evaluate the tooth before simply removing it but cracked teeth are very hard to predict.

The tooth I recently had extracted was prepped for a crown due to a possible crack. I say possible because it did not show up on any x rays or CBCT scans. It did respond to the bite test a little, but wasn't super painful. It just had a dull achy feeling. Pulp tested normal. After the crown prep, the pulp reacted negatively, and I had it extracted.

When it was extracted, it broke during extraction. The dentist said that there were likely cracks near the roots, as the roots actually broke off during extraction and had to be taken out separately.

Back