• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much novacaine is safe?

G

Former Member
I need to know if there is an unsafe number of injections of Novacaine or other numbing drug. Is seven in one sitting dangerous or simply bad judgement? How soon should another appt be made for another injection? Have you ever heard of lying on your stomach for a Novacaine shot...help!

Hi,

There is a safe maximum amount of any local anaesthetic. The safe amount varies between each agent and whether it is combined with epinephrine (adrenalin). The safe dose also depends upon whether the patient is an adult or child and on their weight. So I would guess that although 7 seems a lot, it was probably not over the safe limit. I have certainly given 7 cartridges on occasions for eg multiple extractions etc.

Not sure what you mean by how soon should another appointment for another injection can be made. The next day would be fine if you wanted.

I have never heard of lying on your stomach for a dental shot. I would be interested to hear exactly what happened and what the dentist said were the reasons for this. Would you tell me a bit more about what happened?

Regards,
Mike Gow BDS

Back