• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much pain can I expect from an implant surgery?

I spoke too soon about the bleeding, so i have more gauze in. Nothing too bad, but enough to need more gauze. I can't stand the taste of blood in my mouth. Everything is still numb, but I am hoping to get by with just tylenol.

@Scared all the time The healing cap sticks up a little above the gums. It kind of looks like the top of a screw. He said it would allow them to test the implant without having to open it back up.
Awesome! That part worries me it sticking up for me anyway.

Well done,hope you heal quick.

It is still bleeding, but not as bad. I am trying to go without the gauze to let it air out. I keep drooling on myself. Lol.

So far I have only taken tylenol, and it is getting painful as the numb wears off. I am due to take more tylenol in a half hour.

The pain in the molar and premolar next to the implant are excruciating now that the numbing is wearing off. I don't know if it is referred pain, or if the surgery aggravated the already painful teeth more. My premolar feels like it is going to explode. Ugh. I took the max dose of tylenol, and can only take one more dose at 10 pm, until tomorrow. I am sure if I could take ibuprofen it wouldn't be so bad.

The pain in the molar and premolar next to the implant are excruciating now that the numbing is wearing off. I don't know if it is referred pain, or if the surgery aggravated the already painful teeth more. My premolar feels like it is going to explode. Ugh. I took the max dose of tylenol, and can only take one more dose at 10 pm, until tomorrow. I am sure if I could take ibuprofen it wouldn't be so bad.
How about ice on your face? or drinking cold liquids? I have found that when you have a procedure or a bad tooth, just your mere body temperature can aggravate it. Good Luck....will keep following.

How about ice on your face? or drinking cold liquids? I have found that when you have a procedure or a bad tooth, just your mere body temperature can aggravate it. Good Luck....will keep following.
I have been using ice packs. I think the teeth are aggravated and have referred pain. I have a prescription for tramadol, but due to another medication I am on, tramadol increases the risk for seizures. My doctor said it would be a very small risk, but I don't want to take it until my husband gets home, just in case. I have my kids here with me alone right now.

I just took a tramadol. This pain is much worse than my extraction. I do want to make sure anyone reading this knows I am not taking ibuprofen. I am sure it would be much less painful with it.

The majority of the pain is coming from my molar next to the implant. It s throbbing.

Its not long since you had the other procedure is it could that be what's causing the pain? you didn't have long to recover inbetween. Can you make an emergency appointment+get it checked out?

Its not long since you had the other procedure is it could that be what's causing the pain? you didn't have long to recover inbetween. Can you make an emergency appointment+get it checked out?

I had the apico 3 and a half weeks ago but it was on the top front tooth. The dentist told me I was fine to go forward with the implant. I know the first 6 hours after the anesthetic wear off are the worst. Also, not being able to take ibuprofen. The tramadol is taking the edge off, so I don't feel like my teeth near the implant are going to explode anymore.

If it is still severe pain tomorrow I will call the oral surgeon.

Yes do that you need it sorted before the weekend.

I just took a tramadol. This pain is much worse than my extraction. I do want to make sure anyone reading this knows I am not taking ibuprofen. I am sure it would be much less painful with it.

The majority of the pain is coming from my molar next to the implant. It s throbbing.
☹️ Oh my. Yes if doesn’t ease by tomorrow I’d definitely call the dentist. I truly hope it starts to feel better soon for you

OMG ...I do seem to remember the pain with the implant did not linger for long like it does with our root canals, week after week. After the pain peaked, it seemed to lessen right away. Probably, because there is no dead tooth in your mouth to harbor bacteria and cause continuous inflammation. Keep calm.

I can honestly say that this is the worst dental pain I have ever experienced. The tylenol isn't doing a thing. The tramadol worked for a few hours to take the edge off, but the intemse pain is back. If this doesn't ease up, I will be demanding they take it out.

I can honestly say that this is the worst dental pain I have ever experienced. The tylenol isn't doing a thing. The tramadol worked for a few hours to take the edge off, but the intemse pain is back. If this doesn't ease up, I will be demanding they take it out.
I can empathize with what you are going through but try to keep yourself calm. Stay positive... keep saying to yourself, ....Every day people get implants and they are successful and so will mine. Stay ahead of the pain with whatever you are able to take. I know you have said in the past you are unable or prefer not to take certain medications but have you talked to your doctor about an anti-anxiety or an antidepressant. I take both. The anti-anxiety as needed. Since I have been going through my root canal nightmare, it has been one a day. I find it even has pain reducing qualities. It brings a calm over you and makes you feel less obsessed with the pain. The antidepressant I take is Elavil, one before I go to sleep. Makes you go into a deep restful sleep as well as having some pain reducing qualities. It is also recommended as treatment for atypical odontalgia which can be occurring when we have one failed treatment after the next. I have also been prescribed lyrica for neuropathic pain. For me. I have found these medications at one time or another have really helped me to cope better in these situations. Just putting it out there to see if you have involved your medical doctor in any of this.

Can you call your dentist and ask about arcoxia? Arcoxia worked very well for me and is commonly prescribed for dental pain here where I'm from. My GP told me it is a sister drug of ibuprofen but much better in terms of side effects.

Can you call your dentist and ask about arcoxia? Arcoxia worked very well for me and is commonly prescribed for dental pain here where I'm from. My GP told me it is a sister drug of ibuprofen but much better in terms of side effects.

Is it an NSAID? I can't take anti-inflammatory meds because I got a stomach ulcer from them last fall that is still healing..

I just looked it up and it isn't approved in the US anyway.

Last edited:
I can empathize with what you are going through but try to keep yourself calm. Stay positive... keep saying to yourself, ....Every day people get implants and they are successful and so will mine. Stay ahead of the pain with whatever you are able to take. I know you have said in the past you are unable or prefer not to take certain medications but have you talked to your doctor about an anti-anxiety or an antidepressant. I take both. The anti-anxiety as needed. Since I have been going through my root canal nightmare, it has been one a day. I find it even has pain reducing qualities. It brings a calm over you and makes you feel less obsessed with the pain. The antidepressant I take is Elavil, one before I go to sleep. Makes you go into a deep restful sleep as well as having some pain reducing qualities. It is also recommended as treatment for atypical odontalgia which can be occurring when we have one failed treatment after the next. I have also been prescribed lyrica for neuropathic pain. For me. I have found these medications at one time or another have really helped me to cope better in these situations. Just putting it out there to see if you have involved your medical doctor in any of this.
I actually started an antidepressant last week. My doctor said I have situational depression from all the dental work. She prescribed Wellbutrin. They haven't kicked in yet.

So overnight the pain was still bad. I took the max dose of tylenol in 24 hours, and can't take more until 9:30 a.m. i took tramadol again after 6 hours, and dozed a little. The pain isn't quite as bad this morning, but still worse than any of the surgeries I have had previously. If I end up needing an implant on my front tooth, I am going to have to ask for a stronger pain med, even if it does make me pass out. Passing out would be preferable.

The swelling is really bad. It is swollen on both sides of my gums, so that makes it painful to swallow as well.

The pain isn't as bad this morning so I have hope that it will improve. Swallowing is the worst right now.

Back