• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much pain can I expect from an implant surgery?

The pain isn't as bad this morning so I have hope that it will improve. Swallowing is the worst right now.
Aww I hope things continue to get better soon. feel so bad your suffering It’s going to get better still sending u positive vibes

Aww I hope things continue to get better soon. feel so bad your suffering It’s going to get better still sending u positive vibes

I hope the worst of the pain is gone. I emailed my doctor and she said if it gets bad again she can prescribe oxycodone. I have never wanted to take that, but I don't want that pain again.

I am super sore now, but my molar and premolar don't feel like they are going to explode anymore.

I had a moment of panic when I was attempting to clean my teeth, and couldn't see the healing cap sticking up. Then I realized the swelling has it covered up. Lol.

I hope the worst of the pain is gone. I emailed my doctor and she said if it gets bad again she can prescribe oxycodone. I have never wanted to take that, but I don't want that pain again.

I am super sore now, but my molar and premolar don't feel like they are going to explode anymore.

I had a moment of panic when I was attempting to clean my teeth, and couldn't see the healing cap sticking up. Then I realized the swelling has it covered up. Lol.
I know what you mean I try not to even take Tylenol hopefully the pain will keep getting better for you and to won’t need anything

I will admit your situation is scaring me though with my journey if I choose that route

Oh man. I'm really sending thoughts your way today, @MountainMama - hoping you turn the corner ASAP and start getting relief. You have been through the ringer and really deserve the payoff now.

I know what you mean I try not to even take Tylenol hopefully the pain will keep getting better for you and to won’t need anything

I will admit your situation is scaring me though with my journey if I choose that route

Don't let my experience scare you. I have a lot of other issues contributing to the pain, like the cracked teeth. I also feel that if I could have taken ibuprofen it wouldn't h e been this bad.
I am feeling better now. The worst pain is over, I think. I am on just tylenol right now, and the pain is bearable.

I am sure your experience would be much different.

I had an implant put in last November. It was done under IV sedation, so I don't remember much about the part done at the dental office. Back at home, pain wasn't bad at first. After a day, pain got up a bit and it wasn't too much fun. I was mainly very sore around the implant side and a bit of referred pain around. The prescribed medication was enough to make me feel good, but only took some a few times before going down to regular pain medication.

I had an implant put in last November. It was done under IV sedation, so I don't remember much about the part done at the dental office. Back at home, pain wasn't bad at first. After a day, pain got up a bit and it wasn't too much fun. I was mainly very sore around the implant side and a bit of referred pain around. The prescribed medication was enough to make me feel good, but only took some a few times before going down to regular pain medication.

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping it only gets better from here. That first day when the numbness wore off, I thought my jaw was splitting open. Today, it is more what I expected.

I am getting an implant put in Tuesday, on my lower right 2nd molar. I cannot take ibuprofen, or opiods, or basically any pain meds besides Tylenol.

That jaw has been aching anyway, due to a cracked first molar.

What kind of pain levels should I expect? I am forcing myself not to google it or watch videos. Will it be similar to the tooth extraction, as far as pain after the surgery?

I had ten implants placed back in September. The first two days were pretty painful but much less so then for comparison a tooth ache. By day 3 I was only mildly swollen and after 5 days I was pretty much back to normal. Your recovery might be even easier since it’s only one vs ten.

I had ten implants placed back in September. The first two days were pretty painful but much less so then for comparison a tooth ache. By day 3 I was only mildly swollen and after 5 days I was pretty much back to normal. Your recovery might be even easier since it’s only one vs ten.

The pain was actually pretty intense. I have had two molar extractions, an abscess, and two apicoectomies and this was by far the most painful after the anesthetic wore off. I am on day 2 now, and it was better earlier, but tonight it is getting bad again. I hope it eases up tomorrow. I am really swollen as well.

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this. Truly. No one deserves to suffer and you’re being so brave, still trying to encourage us. Hope you get rest and wake up feeling amazing.

Well done and I hope you are feeling better today. I have had three implants placed, and I was very glad I could take ibuprofen, it deals with the swelling and any pain. Can you take codeine? I was given that for a bone graft and it worked really well. Thinking of you and hoping you have successful outcome for your apicoe.

Hope your feeling better today.

I am doing better today. It still hurts but manageable. I talked to a nurse at the oral surgeon's office and she said the pain was likely due to swelling because I couldn't take ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatories. The swelling is pretty bad today but not as painful. Tylenol is managing it. I am praying this takes and there arw no issues.

I am doing better today. It still hurts but manageable. I talked to a nurse at the oral surgeon's office and she said the pain was likely due to swelling because I couldn't take ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatories. The swelling is pretty bad today but not as painful. Tylenol is managing it. I am praying this takes and there arw no issues.
Good to read you feel you have turned a corner on the pain levels with this and wishing you nothing but uneventful healing of this particular procedure.

Two extra strength tylenol and the majority of the pain is gone now! Yay! No tramadol, at least until evening. My jaw is stiff feeling, but that is to be expected

Two extra strength tylenol and the majority of the pain is gone now! Yay! No tramadol, at least until evening. My jaw is stiff feeling, but that is to be expected
Wonderful news!!!

Wonderful news!!!

Yes, much better. I can feel it when it gets to the last hour of the tylenol, but about a half hour after taking it and it feels much better. At least if I have to do this again, I know what to expect.

Yes, much better. I can feel it when it gets to the last hour of the tylenol, but about a half hour after taking it and it feels much better. At least if I have to do this again, I know what to expect.
It will get better! I have faith your luck is turning around with these procedures! I hope today is even better then yesterday ?

It will get better! I have faith your luck is turning around with these procedures! I hope today is even better then yesterday ?

It is still painful today, but no worse. I have canker sores all along both sides of the tooth area, which hurt like crazy! Of course, I am driving myself crazy wondering if that is a sign of allergy or infection. The actual implant area looks good. The skin is white now, which is how the apico looked at this stage. It is still swollen, but hopefully that will subside.

I am sure that a few of the canker sores are from where the injections were given. I almost always get them after a procedure. The worst one is on the base of my mouth, under my tongue, right at the base of my gums near the implant.

My molar and premolar hurt like crazy on that side, but it comes and goes. They did that after the extraction as well, but not as bad.

Last edited:
It is still painful today, but no worse. I have canker sores all along both sides of the tooth area, which hurt like crazy! Of course, I am driving myself crazy wondering if that is a sign of allergy or infection. The actual implant area looks good. The skin is white now, which is how the apico looked at this stage. It is still swollen, but hopefully that will subside.

I am sure that a few of the canker sores are from where the injections were given. I almost always get them after a procedure. The worst one is on the base of my mouth, under my tongue, right at the base of my gums near the implant.

My molar and premolar hurt like crazy on that side, but it comes and goes. They did that after the extraction as well, but not as bad.
Some of that Sounds like a “normal” reaction for you though after procedures in general so that’s a good sign I’d think ? my worry too is an allergic reaction. I’m going to ask if there is a way I can wear a post as an earring to test before. I read a dentist on here did that for one of his patients. I’m sure your fine so glad to hear the pain isn’t as unbearable now for you.

Try not to worry. I know easier said then done but focus on healing don’t google just relax let your body heal. Our anxiety is our own worst enemy and does hinder our healing Hugs!

Back