• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

How much pain is Normal After a root canal?

S

SunshineMoon

I had my root canal 5 days ago. I would have hoped for the pain to start easing but its not, its still sore when i make my teeth touch. Ive been on pain relief since last week which does take the edge off the pain.
Im not sure if i should be getting concerned at this point.
Any advice will be really appreciated as I am
Worrying like mad :(

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Some after pain is normal, it's hard to quantify what "some" means though, sorry!
If you take some mild pain relief does that fix it for a while? Any sensitivity to hot or cold?
Was a permanent filling put in on top of the root canal or is still in a temp?

S

SunshineMoon

Pain relief does work for now thankfully, it does take the edge off things.
No sensitivity to hot or cold at the moment.
My root canal completed in 2 1/2 hours and an Onlay was used.

S

SunshineMoon

Just incase anyone is in a similar situation, i thought id keep on updating.
Ive been to the dentist today, was told the onlay maybe high, so it was filed down.
Still sore but have been told to give it time to settle.

M

MountainMama

I hope it settles for you! Both my root canals failed, but I was told to wait at least two weeks to see if the pain eased. The endodontist told me that some people can take a lot longer to heal than others and even just a tiny bit of improvement over a few weeks is positive.

S

SunshineMoon

Oh, what were your symptoms of a failed root canal? This is what im worried about too.

A

Acheygirl

I have some odd chronic pain issue that is not 100% positively diagnosed yet I still need to see a neurologist, but I had three root canals in a year and they all still feel off but I slowly was able to bite down on them. I am still having shooting pain with hot foods in one but everything looks ok from an x-ray standpoint. My dentist told me it's normal to give it 5 full months before you decide to do anything drastic. Dr. Gordon here replied to one of my posts stating that they can never fully clean out the tooth from bacteria and your body normally compensates and takes care of the remaining bacteria but if your system is slightly off the bacteria can win... Just take care of yourself, get sleep, take a good vitamin and maybe some antinflamatories and see if your body can heal itself.

M

MountainMama

Oh, what were your symptoms of a failed root canal? This is what im worried about too.
I wouldn’t worry about it failing yet. Mine were not considered failed until about four months when I had no improvement on the pain at all. It was bad enough that they took the teeth completely out of occlusion so that they didn’t touch any other teeth when chewing. I couldn’t handle even my tongue touching the tooth, as it was extremely painful like a bruise. Eating was awful. The gums around the tooth were sore but there was no sign of infection.
It does sound like the tooth had a high spot. That can really make it sore. I had an extraction last month on a lower molar and the molar next to it has a pointy cusp that now hits the tooth above it. It makes the tooth so sore that even my tongue sliding along it hurts. I need to get in and get it filed down but want to wait until the extraction heals a little more. I had a bone graft and don’t want to disturb it.