• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much pain is normal after crown prep and temp

M

MountainMama

I had my lower right first molar prepped for a crown today, and a temp crown placed. The tooth had been hurting when I chewed, and it has a crack that isn't too bad...it hurt slightly when doing the cracked tooth test with the bite test.
I had pain right in the dental chair when the hygienist cleaned the prepped tooth with water, as the anesthetic was wearing off at that point. Then it hurt when she was pushing the temp crown on...not terribly but uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable when I had to bite down on the cotton roll to "set" the temp crown. It had little "zings" of pain that were tolerable on the drive home.

Now it has a very low level aching, and a lot of sensitivity. If I touch the side of the temp crown lightly, it feels very sensitive, like the touch is amplified, but only on the side closest to my cheek.

Is this normal? I was petrified going into this crown prep that it was going to turn into irreversible pulpitis, even though the tooth hasn't been hurting. I am supposed to get the left lower first molar crowned next month, but I don't know that I can go through this anxiety again so soon. I was going to put it off until late summer, but the dentist was worried I would do more damage by chewing on it. So far it hasn't been hurting when chewing, just aching occasionally, but there is a visible crack where the filling is.

The sensitivity would make me worry that the temp isn't sealed properly. I'd go back to the dentist as soon as you can.

The sensitivity would make me worry that the temp isn't sealed properly. I'd go back to the dentist as soon as you can.

Thank you for your reply. I would have assumed the sensitivity was normal. It actually is not as sensitive this morning. I can touch it without the weird feeling. I also was able to gently brush it without any sensitivity. That is a good sign, right?

If the sensitivity comes back, I will call right away.

I am still waffling on whether or not to get the other tooth crowned next month or to wait. It isn't hurting, except for an occasional ache here or there.

Last edited:
My jaw hurts pretty bad today, but the dentist told me that might happen. That shot in the back always gives me soreness for a few day, plus I just had an implant post put in a month ago for the 2nd molar, so the whole area has had a lot of work lately.

On a positive note, I do like my new dentist. He knew I was nervous and used a lot of humor to put me at ease. That dental office was highly recommended by everyone in the area that I asked.

Thank you for your reply. I would have assumed the sensitivity was normal. It actually is not as sensitive this morning. I can touch it without the weird feeling. I also was able to gently brush it without any sensitivity. That is a good sign, right?

If the sensitivity comes back, I will call right away.

I am still waffling on whether or not to get the other tooth crowned next month or to wait. It isn't hurting, except for an occasional ache here or there.

Yes, if the sensitivity has gone enough to let you brush it then it should be OK.

Yes, if the sensitivity has gone enough to let you brush it then it should be OK.

The sensitivity is gone, but my jaw aches worse than yesterday. It doesn't ache just at the joint, but along my jaw and around the implant post, behind the tooth that was worked on. The temp crown tooth itself doesn't hurt, but it hurts down near my lymph node, if that makes sense. It isn't sharp pain, but is dull and constant.

Could all the vibrations from the crown prep have aggravated the implant post? It is only 6 weeks out from placement. The oral surgeon knew I was getting the tooth crowned and didn't seem concerned.

Or could it be from the injections? I have had so much work done in that area lately. When the back molar had the nerve go bad, it was a dull, nagging pain in my jaw, so it is making me nervous.

My dentist's office is closed until Monday, but if it is implant related, I can call the oral surgeon tomorrow. I don't want to panic over nothing, though.

Could all the vibrations from the crown prep have aggravated the implant post? It is only 6 weeks out from placement. The oral surgeon knew I was getting the tooth crowned and didn't seem concerned.

Or could it be from the injections? I have had so much work done in that area lately. When the back molar had the nerve go bad, it was a dull, nagging pain in my jaw, so it is making me nervous.

No.
Yes :)
Best I can do from here, sorry!

No.
Yes :)
Best I can do from here, sorry!

That's okay. As long as it isn't an issue with the implant...that was my main concern. I will give it a week and call the dentist if it still hurts next week. Thank you!

Well, yesterday I started getting random jolts of pain, with no stimulus. It isn't severe, but is uncomfortable. I don't want to call the dentist on the weekend unless it gets really bad, but this is getting ridiculous that every tooth I have worked on has the nerve die. When he did the crown prep, he said he didn't see anything that would indicate a root canal would be needed. The tooth is not pressure sensitive, and the temp crown was taken completely out of occlusion, so I am not hitting it. I don't know what to do at this point. It seems to be a lose/lose situation with my teeth.

Well, yesterday I started getting random jolts of pain, with no stimulus. It isn't severe, but is uncomfortable. I don't want to call the dentist on the weekend unless it gets really bad, but this is getting ridiculous that every tooth I have worked on has the nerve die. When he did the crown prep, he said he didn't see anything that would indicate a root canal would be needed. The tooth is not pressure sensitive, and the temp crown was taken completely out of occlusion, so I am not hitting it. I don't know what to do at this point. It seems to be a lose/lose situation with my teeth.
Would love to know how this all turned out for u… I’m going in for crown prep on Tuesday and like u I’m so extremely nervous and can’t afford it to be a root canal. Ive had a metal band around the tooth for nearly 2 months to dertermine it is cracked tooth syndrome and to let the tooth settle enough so hopefully the prep won’t cause irreversible pulpatitis. Hoping ur doing well now x

Would love to know how this all turned out for u… I’m going in for crown prep on Tuesday and like u I’m so extremely nervous and can’t afford it to be a root canal. Ive had a metal band around the tooth for nearly 2 months to dertermine it is cracked tooth syndrome and to let the tooth settle enough so hopefully the prep won’t cause irreversible pulpatitis. Hoping ur doing well now x
I ended up losing the tooth. ?

Back