• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much valium is too much?

G

Former Member
During my last visit to the dentist, I had a tooth extracted. I was prescribed 10mg of valium 1/2 hr prior to the appointment, and 10mg once I got there. I once took 5mg valium preoperatively for another procedure, and it did not calm me as much as I would have liked, which is why they prescribed a higher dose. Even with that amount in me, as well as nitrous, I was fully aware of everything that was going on, and walked out of the office 1 hour later (with my father). I did pass out for a couple of hours once I got home, but felt normal rather quickly.

Was 20mg too high of a dose?

Should I have been awake during my procedure?

Does the level of anxiety directly affect the effectiveness of the valium?

Should I have taken the valium a bit earlier? Maybe it didn't take effect right away?

I'm nervous because I have another appointment in 5 weeks for a bridge preparation. I don't want to have to be carried out of the office, but at the same time, want to be relaxed, and feel no pain.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Sabine

Hi Sabine - just read your post and I'm wondering - why Valium and not a short-acting benzo?

There's more info on oral sedation here.

Hope you're keeping well :)!

Letsconnect...I'm not sure why valium? I guess that's what my dentist preferred. I had checked that link for oral sedation before my appointment, and thought that the valium would be fine. As I read it again today, I'm thinking that the peak effect was taking place when I left the office (one hour after taking the valium)...next time I think I'll take it a bit earlier.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, it needs about an hour to kick in.

If your dentist is happy to prescribe a different benzo, this may well be worth considering (since valium stays in your system for 24 hours plus - which can be very annoying if you need to be compos mentes the next day). You could always ask, I suppose :).

Back