How old were you when your phobia started?

How old were you when your dental phobia started?

• 5 years old and under

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 6-12 years old

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 13-18 years old

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 19-30 years old

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 31-50 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51 years or older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: I can’t remember/I’m not sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
kitkat

kitkat

Forum Buddy
I have always thought that the majority of dental phobics became phobic in their younger years but is this really the case? I am curious to see what other members have to say!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
This is interesting Kit Kat. 10ish is the youngest I remember but I used to be sedated before that and don't remember much. I DEFINATELY remember my awful childhood dentist from 10-15 and equally awful ortho after him .

kitkat

kitkat

Forum Buddy
I don’t ever remember not being afraid but I was told my first appointment went TERRIBLY and my mother was surprised the office let us come back (I was probably about 3 years old at that time...I don’t remember the appointment). All I have been told was that I was upset and cried the entire time and eventually threw up everywhere! :redface: It was a pediatric dentist but they didn’t have the best reputation. We stayed there a few years and I don’t remember them ever being mean or unkind or hurting me but I was never comfortable or felt at ease there. I had a lot of work done there, multiple crowns/fillings/extractions-I can only remember small bits and pieces but none of the memories strike me as being traumatizing. I was only given nitrous once for extractions there which I kind of remember. I also remember fighting a hygienist who wanted to put sealants on my teeth and she actually took me over to watch somebody else doing it so that I wouldn’t be scared so, I don’t think they were the worst people. Then we changed dentists about every 6 months for a few years (I think there were insurance issues :confused: but those are all just a blur) and then we landed at a chain dentist where thankfully, I never had any work done besides cleanings/sealants but they had horrible hygienists and the cleanings were quite uncomfortable. Again, they were never mean but they weren’t super nice either and they definitely were not gentle in the least which majorly reinforced my fears. They never showed any concern for my comfort or tried to reassure me. We were there til I was 15 and changed to my current dentist. My fears were slowly/gradually escalating over time and so by the time I reached my current dentist, my anxiety reached an all time high and suddenly, I was having much more trouble getting myself through the door. To add insult to injury, I was also suddenly faced with a lot of dental work for the first time in many years (many fillings and all 4 wisdom teeth needed to come out) so I think I was very overwhelmed and that was sorta my breaking point where I was pretty much refusing to go. So I would say that I’ve always been fearful/anxious but my peak was at 15...that was my worst of days when I was absolutely terrified of going.

M

MountainMama

I wasn't afraid until I was around 8 and had to have baby teeth pulled to make room for permanent teeth coming through. Horrible experiences with that dentist. I had most of my baby teeth pulled, and four permanent teeth pulled by that dentist. He was a friend of my parents, and they went to him until he retired this past year. Of course, they never had more than a filling done by him.