• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How SAFE is mercury filling removal?

M

MightyFall

taking a break from the forum
Last week I visited my dentist and was told that I had a chipped mercury filling in one of my molars, which also chipped off a small part of my tooth too. I have in total about EIGHT mercury fillings in my mouth. I cannot afford to remove all of the fillings.

My conventional local dentist offered to remove it, and the only equipment to avoid mercury vapour entering my system was a rubber dam and a dental suction unit. I know that biological dentists stress the importance of providing oxygen during the procedure and other safety protocols, but is this really necessary? Considering factors like my age (I am a young, relatively healthy male), only one filling being removed and no known mercury poisoning issues, how safe would this be? And would it be necessary at all?

Thank you.

The only time I had my silver fillings removed is when they had weakened the teeth so much I needed more treatment on the tooth and ended up with a root canal and a crown put on it.

There is such a tiny amount of mercury that it will not cause health issues. There's a lot of nonsense on the internet and from these organic/health dentists that say you must have all of them removed and replaced with a healthier option, but it's complete bogus and a way for dentists to get your monie$.

The only time I would have a filling replaced is if my silver filling has damaged the tooth. Otherwise it's a waste of money. If you do want to have it removed, then basic safety precautions - for the sake of the health of the tooth (like keeping germs out of your bloodstream that might enter from an exposed tooth) - should be followed.

Some research:

"Research on this issue is complex and has arrived at various estimates of the actual amount of mercury released. However, several reviews of the research have concluded that any amount released from amalgam in the mouth is very low.
Studies have shown that the amount of mercury you are exposed to from your fillings is less than the amount that most people are exposed to in their daily environment or in the food they eat."

"If your fillings are in good condition and there is no decay beneath the filling, FDA does not recommend that you have your amalgam fillings removed or replaced. Removing sound amalgam fillings results in unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure, and exposes you to additional mercury vapor released during the removal process.

However, if you believe you have an allergy or sensitivity to mercury or any of the other metals in dental amalgam (such as silver, tin, or copper), you should discuss treatment options with your dentist."

Good site to read - https://quackwatch.org/related/mercury/

Last week I visited my dentist and was told that I had a chipped mercury filling in one of my molars, which also chipped off a small part of my tooth too. I have in total about EIGHT mercury fillings in my mouth. I cannot afford to remove all of the fillings.

My conventional local dentist offered to remove it, and the only equipment to avoid mercury vapour entering my system was a rubber dam and a dental suction unit. I know that biological dentists stress the importance of providing oxygen during the procedure and other safety protocols, but is this really necessary? Considering factors like my age (I am a young, relatively healthy male), only one filling being removed and no known mercury poisoning issues, how safe would this be? And would it be necessary at all?

Thank you.

Hi MightyFallThere really is no such thing as a "mercury filling" your filling is amalgam, and it is putting less mercury in your body than you would get from eating a tuna sandwich.
I had 8 amalgam fillings for 35 years. of those 8 I still have 6.
you will be fine

I was bit by this "silver fillings are going to kill you" when I started my dental journey (I had been dealing with some bad infections at the time and so my mind just thought the worse), so research from legit sites (because there honestly is soooo much garbage on the internet) helped calm my worries.

Back