• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How slowly can you go on the NHS?

M

Matt R73

I'm off to the dentist this Wednesday for the first time in over a decade. My mouth to be honest is a mess. I'm so anxious it's horrendous. I guess the dentist is expecting to have a look and take x rays at the first appointment as this would be the norm. I feel the only way I can start to get through this is to take it slow and just have a chat with the dentist for the first appointment in the hope something clicks for me. Just getting me into a dentists is going to be an achievement to be honest. I wouldn't care if it takes two or three appointments of having a chat if it builds my confidence up before getting in the chair. Is this possible on the NHS? and if so and the dentist is compassionate and getting paid would it be problem? The reception staff have been made fully aware of my problems and recommended I see this particular dentist.

Many Thanks

Matt

Yes it is possible to take things slow on the nhs. It will depend on the dentist and hopefully you will see an understanding one that will take the time to allow you to feel comfortable. It would be very helpful if you could let them have a look with just the mirror at this first visit. You will find that things are very different to how they used to be. We don't have to be worked on, we work with the dentist now and discuss how best to get treatment done. They can start off slow and allow to you to trust them. Treatment is pain free now as well including the injections if any are needed.

When you go remember that you are in charge and only consent to what you feel you can cope with at each appointment.

It isn't going to be as bad as you think it is going to be. We understand how hard this is for you and the way you feel right now is the worst you are going to feel. We do more to ourselves than any dentist could possibly do. Try not to stress too much about this, if you don't feel comfortable with the dentist you see, don't go back. You can find another one. I think if the person you spoke to has recommended this dentist to you it sounds like they are used to and are good at dealing with nervous people.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back