• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Alcohol after extraction?

J

JellyBaby

This is going to sound really bad, but I have to ask this question. I am probably going to have to have an extraction in the near future. I have read all the advice about avoiding alcohol for 24-48 hours afterwards but I don't know if I can do this. I have, to my shame, had drinks every day for probably the last 30 years. My body is used to a certain amount - yes I do know that I am probably an alcoholic - and I am worried that I will suffer some awful symptoms if I suddenly don't intake my usual amount. Would some very watered down wine be OK to drink? Please don't judge me - I am judging myself.

Hi JellyBaby, that sounds like a medical question - would you mind if I moved this into the Ask a Dentist section? Our dentists here don't judge ?

No problem!

Hi JellyBaby, not a dentist and don‘t have an answer, but wanted to let you know that nobody here would judge you. On the contrary, I think it is a good thing that you are aware of this and that you are mindful enough to want to know how to go about your extraction without putting yourself at risk by just stopping suddenly. Maybe a relevant information if you feel comfortable sharing, may be what is the usual amount you would usually need per day?

Last edited:
I usually drink 3-4 glasses of wine in the evening.

Bit of a cop out answer here, it rather depends on how long after the extraction you have the wine. The main reason for telling people to avoid alcohol is that it tends to open up the blood vessels in the peripheral system which can cause increased bleeding.

if it's several hours after the extraction then in most people a decent clot will have formed by then so there's not much risk of increased bleeding.

On a different topic but related...
Please let the dentist know in advance how much alcohol you use, I would personally be taking some extra steps to make sure the bleeding is fully stopped after the extraction. Long term alcohol damage to the liver can make clotting a bit of an issue sometimes.

Not sure if you're thinking about sedation for the extraction, if so such long term damage can also provoke somewhat strange reactions to sedation drugs, again, forewarning the dentist would be sensible.

No need to be embarrassed about telling your dentist either. Dentists are professionals and will not judge you.

Back