• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How soon after extractions will I be able to chew?

T

ttmkeasun400

Hello everyone......I am having extractions this coming Wednesday with immediate dentures. Already had trip planned that I can't postpone.
Been debating my brain should I or shouldn't I go ahead with the procedure?

I'm traveling with a group that will be eating out quite a bit.
Will I be able to chew a steak, etc. by then? Should I be away from my local dentist that soon?

I don't want to be on a soft foods diet while on vacation.
I know its an individual decision, but what is the "average" time to be chewing food like this?
Would be alot easier to just do it when I get back, but that would be into next month (March).:hmm:

you don't say when your trip is planned. Don't under estimate the strain on your body from extractions, most posters say they are wiped out and it takes some time to eat and chew well. There are quite a few journals on here about immediate dentures, have a search. I think one of the guidelines mentioned for adjusting was a week for every decade, so if you're 40- 4 weeks etc...........

Gums will change rapidly during the intial healing process and needing a reline early on is not unusual.

I don't have dentures, but if it were me I would wait and enjoy the trip first unless you are in danger of developing a tooth ache or abscess that would really ruin the trip

Thanks RP......Very helpful.
In answer to your question: I would be leaving 18 days after extractions with new dentures. I'm 66, so I will heed to your week per decade.

BTW RP, I do have 2 loose bottom teeth, but if I would loose these on the trip before I get back, I would rather be able to chew with 2 missing teeth than not at all!
Its a catch 22, put up with a "maybe" situation of maybe cutting down my smile and chewing what I want or don't risk this lost of a smile, play it safe and don't chew :hmm:

Back