• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to get dentist to listen

C

champ

My dentist is very, very conservative in terms of care - and that's a good thing, I know. But how do I get him to listen to me about the fact that I hate my old crowns? I've had them anywhere from 30-40 years. They're very old school PFMs and ugly and mismatched. I hate to smile or talk because of them. They have really affected my quality of life and ruined my self-esteem. I would just like to look normal. I brought this up at my last visit and he said it's too risky to remove crowns. He said even though they're old and banged up, they're "doing their job" and he doesn't want to disturb the teeth. I get that he thinks about it medically and I think about it cosmetically, but I'm the one who has to live with them.

Last edited:
I have my 6-month checkup with him soon, and I'm considering asking if we can just replace the one I hate the most, and see how it goes. It would just be such a relief to look normal again.

It's not a good idea to try and talk your dentist into a procedure they don't feel comfortable with (I think it was @comfortdentist who gave this tip). It may not just be a case of them thinking "medically" as opposed to cosmetically, but they may not have the skill set required to deliver the result you want.

Unless of course you've seen photos of their cosmetic work and they look absolutely stunning?

This really sucks, champ.. teeth have a cosmetic function as well and I see how having old crowns that do not match properly makes things difficult. I agree with letsconnect on the point of convincing.. and was wondering whether seeking a second opinion would be an idea?

Hi Champ,

Though it is difficult to give you a good advice without seeing you smile, I wonder whether it is a good idea to discuss with your dentist not to remake all crowns but only the esthetically essential ones.
From the conservative dentist’s point of view: there has to be a clear indication to touch a tooth. An esthetic problem can certainly be such an indication but it should relate to a specific tooth, not to all crowns in general.
I suggest that the next time you see your dentist mention which crowns are the biggest problems in your opinion and ask to start with those. I think that it is totally legitimate to clarify that you are determined to improve your esthetics and if needed to see another dentist for that.
In the end, the dentist is merely a service provider and as long as the patient’s request is ethical, and within the dentist’s skills, there is no reason not to fulfill the patient’s request. Being conservative is a good value but should be absolute.

Last edited: